Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

WOW that's a lot of bedding in there!!

tuggles

Cavy Slave
How much bedding would I need for 2/week? I just emptied an entire bag into a 2X4, and I need AT LEAST one more bag. OMGosh, that's something I actually hadn't given much thought until I made the thing.

Depends, what bedding are you using? And what size of bag does it come in?
You may want to buy larger bags purchased from a feed store or farm supply store.
I buy pine shavings(10 cu. ft. for $7) and have a scooper (usually used for liquids not sure of the size I will find out), and it takes about 4 full scoops from the scooper to fill a 2x3 cage. And I spot clean 3-4 times a day so I don't change the cage depending on how many piggs I have in it for 3 weeks. If I have over 3 piggs in a cage I will change it every 2 weeks other wise with multiple spot cleans, and once a week new bedding tosses the bedding lasts pretty long, usually 3 weeks.

i only use wood shavings/carefresh in the areas the piggies use the bathroom, and the rest of the cage is filled with (free) shredded paper. just make sure there are no stapels/tape, and use as little inked paper as possible.

how do they know?

How do they know where to go to the bathroom? I mean.. if I put carpet on one side, and bedding on the otehr, won't they not know which side to go to the bathroom, or do they prefer the bedding?? I'm interested, cuz I thought they had to have bedding the whole thing.. I had seen some pictures where there was very little bedding, and I was confused.. thanks

Some are trained, some aren't. They'll usually go on both sideas anyhow. What size/type of bedding are you using? If it comes in teeny bags, try getting larger ones. My bag on aspen lasts me (with 2 pigs in a 2x9) about three or four total changes with a three inch layer of bedding.

well my piggies poop everywhere, but they only pee in three areas around the edge of the cage. those are the areas that get the aspen/carefresh. the rest of the cage is filled with stredded paper. i used to have half the cage towels/fleece, but the piggies dragged shredded paper and bedding all over the towels. it took forever to get everything off of it.

Mine poo everywhere, but they are good boys because they never pee upstairs (where all the hay is). I have a plastic bucket (the standard sized one) and I use about 1 and a half bucket fulls for a 2x3 bit of the cage

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.