Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Would it be worth upgrading my cage?

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Well it's simply becuase I couldn't find anything better, and until now I never thought of fleece or even heard of using it.

I honestly think if you looked you would be able to find other means of bedding besides cedar, maybe not at Walmart, but MANY other places. There are even many store that ship pet supplies directly to your front door and you never even have to leave the house.

Honestly you are "lucky" with using the bedding you have chosen that you have a healthy pet and one that is as old as it is. I am shocked that even though you knew the bedding was not recommended and actually harmful that you continued to use it. Why put your animal's health at risk, and possibly even their life over something you can change so easily?

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
I honestly think if you looked you would be able to find other means of bedding besides cedar, maybe not at Walmart, but MANY other places. There are even many store that ship pet supplies directly to your front door and you never even have to leave the house.

Honestly you are "lucky" with using the bedding you have chosen that you have a healthy pet and one that is as old as it is. I am shocked that even though you knew the bedding was not recommended and actually harmful that you continued to use it. Why put your animal's health at risk, and possibly even their life over something you can change so easily?

Listen, all the places that sell pet supplies around here are Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target, Grocery Stores, and small privatly owned pet stores and they sell nothing but Cedar and Pine, not kiln dried pine, just pine. Now maybe Petco sells better things but it just went in and I haven't had a chance to go look there. There is also the fact my vet told me years ago that Cedar could cause problems but usually not that severe, but then again this wasn't a guinea pig specialized vet. I am switching to Fleece when I get the new cage, I am not going to be using Cedar anymore.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
It would be better for your pig to go pellet free than to eat some of the junk pellets out there. There are many people out there who feed no pellets at all. Mine only get them every other day. My fosters not even that often because it takes them 3 days to finish one day's worth of pellets. They are not a necessary part of the diet. As long as they are getting a good quality hay/grass, and the right veggies, then they will be fine. Better to spend more money on veggies.

I think I might do that then and just feed her veggies until I can find her better pellets.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
TrekkiesUnite said:
Listen, all the places that sell pet supplies around here are Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target, Grocery Stores, and small privatly owned pet stores and they sell nothing but Cedar and Pine, not kiln dried pine, just pine.
I searched on www.yellowpages.com for "pet feed" in pensylvania. I got a whole list of farms and feed stores in your area. I think maybe you should take a look.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Listen, all the places that sell pet supplies around here are Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target, Grocery Stores, and small privatly owned pet stores and they sell nothing but Cedar and Pine, not kiln dried pine, just pine. Now maybe Petco sells better things but it just went in and I haven't had a chance to go look there. There is also the fact my vet told me years ago that Cedar could cause problems but usually not that severe, but then again this wasn't a guinea pig specialized vet. I am switching to Fleece when I get the new cage, I am not going to be using Cedar anymore.

You are trying to say that NO WHERE is there a Petco or PetSmart in your area???----WOW!!! That is incredable. Anyways I will say just to humor you, that there is not, what about buying your guinea pig a quality food and bedding online??? Many places ship directly to your door and even have free shipping when you order a specific amount. Here are a few places I can think of just the top of my head . . .

http://petfooddirect.com
http://thecritterstore.com
FerretStore.com Blog
Aquarium Supplies, Pet Supplies, and Pond Supplies at Discount Prices

oh, and of course all the big chain crappy pet stores are online and offer other bedding that are not going to be harmful to your pet.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
You are trying to say that NO WHERE is there a Petco or PetSmart in your area???----WOW!!! That is incredable. Anyways I will say just to humor you, that there is not, what about buying your guinea pig a quality food and bedding online??? Many places ship directly to your door and even have free shipping when you order a specific amount. Here are a few places I can think of just the top of my head . . .

http://petfooddirect.com
http://thecritterstore.com
FerretStore.com Blog
Aquarium Supplies, Pet Supplies, and Pond Supplies at Discount Prices

oh, and of course all the big chain crappy pet stores are online and offer other bedding that are not going to be harmful to your pet.

I did not say there wasn't a Petco nearby, I said for a while there wasn't and one has gone in recently but I have not really had a chance to go there and check it out, it is on the complete opposite side of town and I never really go there, I would love to drive there but we only have 2 cars and both my parents work, so really I have no means of transportation to go there on my own. And with the feed stores that deliver to your door you need a credit card to place the order and have it shipped, which I do not have and my parents would see no logic in my ordering pellets online when I could get them at Wal Mart no matter how much I explained it to them that they are better, so for now I just wont feed her pellets and feed her only veggies.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Local feed stores carry kiln-dried pine.

As for the fleece, cut it large enough to give yourself about 4 inches on all four sides. That allows for any shrinkage and gives you tuck under room. this is saying that you tuck under instead of clipping over the sides of the cage. It is up to you. With a good tuck under you usually don't get much problems with piggies burrowing.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Before stopping the pellets I hope that you do a lot of research on feeding your pig a veggie/hay only diet. Honestly, buying Oxbow pellets is going to be a lot cheaper than feeding a WIDE variety of veggies to your cavy three times a day so she can be healthy and get the vitamins her body needs.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Before stopping the pellets I hope that you do a lot of research on feeding your pig a veggie/hay only diet. Honestly, buying Oxbow pellets is going to be a lot cheaper than feeding a WIDE variety of veggies to your cavy three times a day so she can be healthy and get the vitamins her body needs.

Ok, but just for your information, before you keep bashing me for using cedar and Hartz pellets I just think you should know that all my guinea pigs I have ever had I used Cedar and fed them Hartz Pellets, and I have never had health problems. All the Pigs I have had that died, died from old age except for 1. The 1 that didn't die of old age died of Pneumonia becuase the person watching him while we were on vacation left the window open and the temperature dropped drammatically. The other 2 died at the age of 7 from old age. So I don't think putting her in a newer bigger cage, with fleece bedding, new toys yet still feeding her Hartz pellets is going to kill her. And like I said, she really doesn't eat that much pellets anyways.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
If that is how you feel, than don't be the one asking "would it be worth upgrading my cage"-----you already have your answer in your mind, and even five pages of information later you are still thinking what you are doing is fine.

I am not "bashing" you, I am saying, that even after you have the knowledge you don't want to better your pig's life. Let me just take a moment and share my motto with you . . .
"You can not change what you do not know, but once you have the knowledge, ignorance is no longer a excuse." --you now have the knowledge, it is all up to you what you decide to do with it.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
If that is how you feel, than don't be the one asking "would it be worth upgrading my cage"-----you already have your answer in your mind, and even five pages of information later you are still thinking what you are doing is fine.

I am not "bashing" you, I am saying, that even after you have the knowledge you don't want to better your pig's life. Let me just take a moment and share my motto with you . . .
"You can not change what you do not know, but once you have the knowledge, ignorance is no longer a excuse." --you now have the knowledge, it is all up to you what you decide to do with it.

I am not feigning ignorance, I am getting her a C&C cage, I am switching her bedding to fleece, I am doing many things now that I see what truly is good for her to make her life better, the only thing I am not doing is switching the pellets becuase I can not justify it to my parents to make them drive at the price of gas 45 minutes to phillipsburg to buy her pellets.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Well I did a search on the Hartz victims web site for anything related to Guinea Pigs and it came up with nothing. I know that still doesn't make it the best food, but hopefully this means it won't be too bad for her.

HartzVictims.org - Hartz guinea pig food toxicities?

HartzVictims.org - Guinea Pig & plastic bit Hartz food

Guinea Lynx :: Topic - Cavy Pellet Analysis This thread has pellet analysis, a hartz food is included.

I live in S.E PA, I'm not sure where you are, but PM me anyway, maybe I could help you find supplies.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
HartzVictims.org - Hartz guinea pig food toxicities?

HartzVictims.org - Guinea Pig & plastic bit Hartz food

Guinea Lynx :: Topic - Cavy Pellet Analysis This thread has pellet analysis, a hartz food is included.

I live in S.E PA, I'm not sure where you are, but PM me anyway, maybe I could help you find supplies.

I live in Central PA, Thats really weird with the teeth turning black and all, I have never had that happen to my pig. Don't get me wrong I am looking for better pellets, I just don't think I can justify it to my parents right now, maybe in a month or so.

spoonyspork

Cavy Slave
Just FYI... almost every wal-mart I've been in sells bedding that is the EXACT same as care fresh. It's wal-mart's own brand, and says on the back something like 'we discourage the use of cedar bedding, as it can cause respatory problems and other health issues'. The only other kind of bedding I've found there was kiln-dried pine. The only cedar I saw at all was coined for sprinkling around outdoor dog kennels, and was more expensive than the carefresh-type stuff. I haven't actually seen cedar being sold as bedding there since they stopped selling small animals. This is Florida though, so probably different.

I agree that the food choices there are crap though. I've had animals that lived a looong time for their species that lived on hartz, but I've seen people live a looong time eating nothing but fried food, too ;)

If one HAS to get food from wal-mart though, I *think* (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the plain-pellet '8 in 1' brand is better than hartz.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Just FYI... almost every wal-mart I've been in sells bedding that is the EXACT same as care fresh. It's wal-mart's own brand, and says on the back something like 'we discourage the use of cedar bedding, as it can cause respatory problems and other health issues'. The only other kind of bedding I've found there was kiln-dried pine. The only cedar I saw at all was coined for sprinkling around outdoor dog kennels, and was more expensive than the carefresh-type stuff. I haven't actually seen cedar being sold as bedding there since they stopped selling small animals. This is Florida though, so probably different.

I agree that the food choices there are crap though. I've had animals that lived a looong time for their species that lived on hartz, but I've seen people live a looong time eating nothing but fried food, too ;)

If one HAS to get food from wal-mart though, I *think* (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the plain-pellet '8 in 1' brand is better than hartz.

Well the Wal-Marts in my area just sell pine and cedar, but I think the petco that just went in sells carefresh, so I might buy that to but in a place for her to sleep or something. But I will keep looking for some kind of better pellets for her.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Well the cubes should be arriving in the next day or so and I will probably get the Coroplast and the Fleece either today or tomorrow. So Twisters new cage should be up and ready by Tuesday I hope. I just wanted to thank all of you who gave me such great advice. When it is all done I will post some pictures for you guys.

But I do have another question, since I won't be cleaning her cage with cedar anymore, what should I do with the 1/2 bag I have left?

Last edited:

spoonyspork

Cavy Slave
Do you have a garden? I think some people put cedar in there to make it smell nice. :)

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Do you have a garden? I think some people put cedar in there to make it smell nice. :)

I will have to see if my mom will let me put cedar on her precious flowers.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Sorry, one more question I forgot to ask, if I do get her a freind to play with, during the 3 week quarantine what signs should I look for to be sure the pig is healthy?

Trega

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.