Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Would it be worth upgrading my cage?

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Ok, the only place that has hours that work for me is Kinkos, I called and they said the biggest pieces they carry are 36 inches by 24 inches, is there a way to make a cage bottom out of multiple pieces?

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Darn it, sorry for double post again, but would taping the together work?

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
It's OK, but theres an edit button at the top of your post. And yes, it's OK to use multiple pieces for the bottom. There is a special tape you can get at hardware stores. It's a blue duct tape thats meant only for a plastic surface and works fantastic for coroplast. My bottom floor on my cage is used with two large pieces of coroplast.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Ok, also what would you say is the best thing that is also economically feasible to put under fleece? Puppy Pads I hear are very expensive.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Puppy pads can be very expensive. Crib pads are about half the price. But if you want to go on the cheaper side, just lay 3 layers of newspaper on the bottom. Then put a layer of towels to cover up the whole bottom. Next, just lay your fleece on top. But if you decide to get the pads, place them under the towel.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Puppy pads can be very expensive. Crib pads are about half the price. But if you want to go on the cheaper side, just lay 3 layers of newspaper on the bottom. Then put a layer of towels to cover up the whole bottom. Next, just lay your fleece on top. But if you decide to get the pads, place them under the towel.

Ok, and about how big of a piece of fleece would you recommend for a 4x2 grid cage? I was thinking about 5 ft by 3 ft.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
I would say about 1 metre x 35 inches.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
And I should get the Anti-Pill fleece right? Is that sold at Wal-Mart or other stores like it?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Yep, anti-pill fleece would work. I order my puppy pads on ebay, a couple hundred at a time. If you're comfortable with that, search for puppy pads or incontinence pads.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
I hope you post pictures when your cage is done and pig pictures too. Good for you for being open minded! I can't wait to see the changes.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Ok, went to Wal-Mart, they didn't have the cubes and it didnt even look like the ever stocked them. I even asked some people if they sold storage cubes and they looked at me funny. So I went over the the Bed Bath and Beyond across the street, they didn't have any in stock but they knew exactly what I was talking about and they placed an order for me and they should be here no later than Tuesday. Since I have the time I will probably get the Coroplast over the weekend. Oh and at Wal-Mart I found these things from Hartz called Small Pet Absorbancy pads, its about 7 pads for $3.00, so I bought them to try them out.

These are the ones I ordered:
Bed Bath & Beyond Product

They also had these in stock but I didn't think they would work to well:
Bed Bath & Beyond Product

Last edited:

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Wow, that's pretty exciting! Yea, the ones with circular holes in them have the problem of not being able to see through them right... The pads sound pretty cool. But I don't suggest getting any pet products from hartz. This company knows little or nothing about the health of a pet. Here are some links for more information:
Warning, some of these photos are not for the faint of heart. Tears may be shed.

HartzVictims.org
Hartz Products Warning Article - DOG TRICKS, TIPS AND INSIGHTS

This is a page full of stories from the owners of victims of Hartz products:

HartzVictims.org

jdomans

Cavy Slave
You want the fleece to be about 4-6 inches longer and wider than your cage size. This will allow enough room for washing shrinkage (which is almost nothing) and give you enough to tuck in well.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Wow, that's pretty exciting! Yea, the ones with circular holes in them have the problem of not being able to see through them right... The pads sound pretty cool. But I don't suggest getting any pet products from hartz. This company knows little or nothing about the health of a pet. Here are some links for more information:
Warning, some of these photos are not for the faint of heart. Tears may be shed.

HartzVictims.org
Hartz Products Warning Article - DOG TRICKS, TIPS AND INSIGHTS

This is a page full of stories from the owners of victims of Hartz products:

HartzVictims.org

That looks more like flea and tick stuff, we have never used that kind of stuff on our cats, we always get perscription stuff. And I have always used their guinea pig food but it doesn't seem to cause any problems, but I use it becuase that and similar products is all I am ever able to find.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
You want the fleece to be about 4-6 inches longer and wider than your cage size. This will allow enough room for washing shrinkage (which is almost nothing) and give you enough to tuck in well.

Speaking of washing how should I wash the fleece, what settings should I use on the washer and dryer and is Tide or Era good enough?

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
This website has more than just that. If you read the victims story's page it has victims of the food and everything else.

Hartz Guinea Pig pellets have many aweful things in them that could kill your guinea pig.

If a mod could please help back me up on this one with which of the ingredients to avoid. Because I know there are plenty.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
This website has more than just that. If you read the victims story's page it has victims of the food and everything else.

Hartz Guinea Pig pellets have many aweful things in them that could kill your guinea pig.

Is there a brand you would recommend?

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
There are some great brands like Oxbow, Kleen Mama's Pellet's, Proform Pellets, and anything that doesnt have any seeds, animal byproducts or fatty or died foods. Just plain pellets.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
OK, this is what I do. I have a heavy duty setting on my washer. I use cheap detergent and add about 1/8 cup of lemon scented Pine-Sol. Lysol is too expensive. Warm water.

Get rid of the Hartz. Where do you live that you can only get food from Wal-mart or a grocery store? OK so you may be like me and can't do the Oxbow or Kleenmamma. You can do Mazuri. Go to their website and do a retail locator search and see what you find. Pet stores sell Mazuri but it is the one with sunflower seeds in it. you can get the good stuff from other places. Here in Savannah I get my Mazuri from a garden center.
Mazuri Home

Avoid anything that is not a plain pellet or contains ethoxyquin (sp)

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
OK, this is what I do. I have a heavy duty setting on my washer. I use cheap detergent and add about 1/8 cup of lemon scented Pine-Sol. Lysol is too expensive. Warm water.

Get rid of the Hartz. Where do you live that you can only get food from Wal-mart or a grocery store? OK so you may be like me and can't do the Oxbow or Kleenmamma. You can do Mazuri. Go to their website and do a retail locator search and see what you find. Pet stores sell Mazuri but it is the one with sunflower seeds in it. you can get the good stuff from other places. Here in Savannah I get my Mazuri from a garden center.
Mazuri Home

Wal-Mart is pretty much taking over, but there is a PetCo or a PetSmart, Don't remember which, that just went in, would they have the good stuff there?

And I do get the plain pellet food from Hartz, I tried the seed stuff a while ago and she didn't like it anyways, so I just buy plain pellets, but if that is not good for her then I will buy better stuff.

Edit: I just realized this sounds a lot like drug dealing or something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.