Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Would it be worth upgrading my cage?

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Ok, I have one 5 year old guinea pig and the cage she is in now is currently the cage I have used for all my guinea pigs, it is a petstore cage with the dimensions around 1.5 feet x 2.5 feet. My question is with the age of this guinea pig would it be worth getting her a new C&C Cage?

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Yes building that guinea pig a bigger cage would be be very beneficial for her health. You are never to old to need space.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Well thats nice to know, I think I will wait for a few more replies though, even though I am 18 my parents still think they have to manage my money.

Trega

Cavy Slave
I agree it doesn't matter how old your cavy is you should still build a bigger cage for your cavy he/she can enjoy their old age. Maybe someday you may want more cavies and the cage would come in handy.

Last edited:

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Well, my old guinea pig was really really old. And when I stumbled apon this website I knew that it wasn't too late to upgrade. The time, and space is worth it, for a healthy, and happy life for your bean maker. The grids aren't too costly at all. My current cage has used 4 packages of grids for the cost of a pet store cage. Coroplast is also a very easy thing to find. If you are having trouble finding anything, just go to https://www.guineapigcages.com/where.htm This is the link I used to find the matereals I needed. If you decide to upgrade, you won't regret it. The cage doesn't stink as fast, and it's actually alot easier to clean! Today, my piggy is quite happy with the surroundings, running around and oinking! It's alot more fun to see your piggy happy and running, than to watch him lay down in a glorified litter box. If you cant afford a big cage, it's also OK. The recommended size on the front page says 2x3 for a guinea pig. But if you can get bigger, there's a good 2 thumbs up :) Please, let us know how everything works out!

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Well this is nice to see, hopefully I will be able to justify it. I do have some questions though, should I still line the bottom of the cage with newspaper before putting the cedar in? Yes I do use cedar for the bedding but that is becuase all I can find in my area is pine and cedar, I have tried pine in the past and it made a huge mess and the cage didn't stay clean too long and it caught all caught up in my pigs fur.

Trega

Cavy Slave
You should never use raw pine or cedar in a guinea pig cage! It is very bad for them. Why don't you try fleece? You could put newspaper or a towel underneath. Cavies really like it.

Last edited:

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
You should never use raw pine or cedar in a guinea pig cage! It is very bad for them. Why don't you try fleece? You could put newspaper or a towel underneath. Cavies really like it.

I know that. But what do you mean by raw? Are there other kinds of pine and cedar that are usable? The kind I use is the kind you find at walmart in the vacuum sealed bags.

Trega

Cavy Slave
People say kiln dried pine is okay. I really don't think you should use it at all. I would just go to walmart, get a couple yards of fleece, cut it to size of your cage, and put newspaper under it. That way you aren't running the risk of hurting your cavy.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
People say kiln dried pine is okay. I really don't think you should use it at all. I would just go to walmart, get a couple yards of fleece, cut it to size of your cage, and put newspaper under it. That way you aren't running the risk of hurting your cavy.

Ok, but isn't the fleece harder to clean?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Cedar is very dangerous. It can cause both respitory infections and liver damage. You can use kiln-dried pine.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Cedar is very dangerous! If you are going to use shavings, it's recommended to use kiln dried pine. If you can't find this, use a large sheet of fleece. Under fleece you should put at least 3 layers of newspaper, then a layer of towels. Under Kiln Dried Pine, you should use at least 3 layers of newspaper. I hope this helps.

OK, but isn't the fleece harder to clean?
Definitely not. It's allot easier to clean. Everyday you should vacuum out or use a small broom in the cage to get rid of the poop. And every week, pull all the fleece and towels out, and throw it in the wash. Then replace the newspaper. If you don't like waiting for the fleece to clean, get another sheet to put in your cage while the other is cleaning. And keep switching every time you clean the cage. :)

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
Cedar is very dangerous! If you are going to use shavings, it's reccomended to use kiln dried pine. If you can't find this, use a large sheet of fleece. Under fleece you should put atleast 3 layers of newspaper, then a layer of towels. Under Kiln Dried Pine, you should use atleast 3 layers of newspaper. I hope this helps.

When the current bag of cedar runs out I will switch it then. But I have always used cedar and it has never really caused a problem, but then maybe that is why my guinea pigs have never lived past 6.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
When the current bag of cedar runs out I will switch it then. But I have always used cedar and it has never really caused a problem, but then maybe that is why my guinea pigs have never lived past 6.
You should be very careful with this. I definately would not wait until the bag runs out, I would switch right away, and take your pig to the vet for a check up. A guinea pig should live atleast 12 years. My last one lasted 14.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Fleece isn't difficult at all. It wicks urine down to absorbant layers beneath it, so the top stays quite dry. There are lots of differences in what people use under the fleece. Personally, I have a layer of puppy training pads against the coroplast base, then a layer of towels, and the fleece on top of that. I've found that just newspaper doesn't really absorb, and wet paper stinks pretty fast. You'll need to either sweep up or get a hand vac to get rid of the pig poos daily.

If you decide to go with shavings or loose bedding, aspen is safe as is Carefresh or Yesterday's News. The last two are both made of recycled paper. Kiln-dried pine can also be used pretty safely. If the pine you can find doesn't say kiln-dried, pouring it in a large box and letting it air out for several days will get rid of most of the phenols which can cause respiratory problems. There is no safe form of cedar to use as bedding.

A guinea pig should live atleast 12 years. My last one lasted 14.
Where are you getting this? A guinea pig's average life span is between 5-8 years. If you had a pig that lived 14 years, that is more than extremely rare.

Last edited:

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
You should be very careful with this. I definately would not wait until the bag runs out, I would switch right away, and take your pig to the vet for a check up. A guinea pig should live atleast 12 years. My last one lasted 14.

Wow, last I read the average lifespan was 6-8.

Trega

Cavy Slave
I would definitely stop with cedar it doesn't really matter that your piggies have lived a long time in the past. It is still dangerous and if you know that it is dangerous you shouldn't be doing it.

TrekkiesUnite

Cavy Slave
I would definitely stop with cedar it doesn't really matter that your piggies have lived a long time in the past. It is still dangerous and if you know that it is dangerous you shouldn't be doing it.

Well it's simply becuase I couldn't find anything better, and until now I never thought of fleece or even heard of using it.

Trega

Cavy Slave
Well I hope that you give it a try. I think you will like it much better and I think that your cavy will be happy with it as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.