Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Would a 1 1/2 year old piggy get along with an older piggy??

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
As some of you may know I just lost a little piggy. The cage mate to that piggy is quite lonely he squeaks all the time now, before he was a very quiet piggy. So I am thinking of adopting an older male from a shelter/rescue. My male right now is 1 1/2 years old. I found some piggies online at petfinder. com at a shelter/Humaine Society. The piggies there are 3 years old. Would my piggy take to an older piggy? Or would they just fight? I am not going to adopt an older one if no one thinks they will get along. Also, If I adopt (an older one) and they don't get along I am not going to be very happy about having to get a friend for the adopted one and for the piggy I already have. Feel free to voice your opinions, I don't mind. (I would separate them if I had to, but they would still be in the same cage just with grid dividing them. BUT there is no way absolutly no way I would go out and adopt a friend for the adopted male and my male I already have.)
Thanks
Cinn&sprinslave

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
As some of you may know I just lost a little piggy. The cage mate to that piggy is quite lonely he squeaks all the time now, before he was a very quiet piggy. So I am thinking of adopting an older male from a shelter/rescue. My male right now is 1 1/2 years old. I found some piggies online at petfinder. com at a shelter/Humaine Society. The piggies there are 3 years old. Would my piggy take to an older piggy? Or would they just fight? I am not going to adopt an older one if no one thinks they will get along. Also, If I adopt (an older one) and they don't get along I am not going to be very happy about having to get a friend for the adopted one and for the piggy I already have. Feel free to voice your opinions, I don't mind. (I would separate them if I had to, but they would still be in the same cage just with grid dividing them. BUT there is no way absolutly no way I would go out and adopt a friend for the adopted male and my male I already have.)
Thanks
Cinn&sprinslave

Hi any help/advice would be nice... thanks,
Cinn&sprinslave

Katie

Cavy Slave
I had 6 boars, all different ages and all different personalities. They all lived in harmony in a 3x4 C&C. For 2 males I would recommend a 2x5 C&C cage. Make sure you quarentine the new one and introduce them on neutral territory before putting them in the same cage.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Katie said:
I had 6 boars, all different ages and all different personalities. They all lived in harmony in a 3x4 C&C. For 2 males I would recommend a 2x5 C&C cage. Make sure you quarentine the new one and introduce them on neutral territory before putting them in the same cage.

I have a 2x4 cage, that my male is staying in right now. It has an upper deck too. I might think about adding onto it. They wouldn't spend much time in the cage, my piggies usually spend the day having floor time, or a nice run outside.
Thanks for your reply!!!

Treen

Cavy Slave
I think if you are willing to extend your cage, and are prepared to house them separately if needs be, it's a great idea to get him a buddy. With any pairing of any gender there are not guarantees, but the link mncavylover posted is great, so provided the cage is the right size, you have a really good chance of having them get along. And many people find age differences increase the chances of them getting along.

Even if they didn't get along, living side by side would still provide an enormous amout of companionship for them. They can see, smell and hear another of their own kind and that will do wonders for them - much better than living alone.

Good luck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.