Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Worst Flooding in 25 years

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
This past week, it has been nothing but rain. And now our area is paying for it. Especially along the Delaware River. My dad's work is right on the River. Right now, it's over 7.5 feet over the egde. The river floods every time there's a lot of rain, but this is horrible. People are going down the streets in canoes, water up to the roofs on some houses. Houses ripped from their foundations, now floating down the Delaware. We got lucky, his work is still there, not too much money in damage. Some people were not as lucky. So many people are left without homes, over a dozen killed so far and it's not going to crest until Friday. I'm probably going to go down to take some pictures of the damage near me later on. Please keep those families in mind that have no where else to go, or have lost family and friends to the raging waters.

Here's an article on it. http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=weather&id=4317494

AggiePig

Cavy Slave
Wow, and I thought our water troubles and flooding here were bad. If you go out to take photos be careful!

Residents here along Rock Creek were under mandatory evacuation, but the shelter at the high school would not accept pets. I just don't know what I'd do in a situation like that. I couldn't abandon the furry members of my family, they're my responsibility.

Much luck and stay dry!

jump it

Cavy Slave
fourwabbys- We just went over the Delaware on Tuesday and it was all muddy and fast! yuck ;). Have you ever gone to Rice's Market? That's where we went. They have little bunnies for sale and boy are they cute. I don't feel comfortable saying where I live or asking where you live but we aren't too far away from eachother :)

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Yes! I love Rices. Those bunnies are cute, but I feel bad for that lady. She's been breeding them and selling them for years, but she's getting older and not catching their illnesses like she used to. Last time I was there, there was one with mites and one with crusty eyes. Poor things. That's cool that we live so close!

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I have been watching the news all about the northeast. My girlfriend in syracuse says they have it badly too.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
That is bad. Stay safe!

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Oh that is terrible.
Stay safe and be careful.
I feel bad for the people out of power and the people who have lost so much. I hope the heat is not unbearable without the power. I hope the red cross is also able to help people who lost everything.
Just like Katrina, I wonder how people are suppose to take care of their animals when so many shelters do not take them. I could not leave mine behind. I would have to figure some place to go where they could go too.

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
Oh no, that is awful, I hope you stay safe!
I thought it was bad around here, but all we got was a few flooded basements and some very swollen rivers.

jump it

Cavy Slave
fourwabbys: Did you see the new addition to the rescue. His name is Cracker and he's so cute. Poor little guy though. He was going to get euthanized if the rescue didn't take him in before the family went on vacation. Such people make me sick :yuck:

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Hubby and I have been keeping a close eye on your troubles. Going through what we did we empathize.

We are considering taking a trip up north to your area to help out. My MIL can watch the kids for us and while we volunteer to help out however we can.

The big problem will be the animals. When you have as many pets as we do you don't have any friends good enough to watch them all. It may just have to be hubby going while I stay home to watch the pets and kids. Maybe after he goes I can convince him to watch the animals so I can go volunteer.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Thanks VJ. Your help is greatly appreciated, especially when you've been through the same.
The main problem now is clean water. The plant had to shut down from the floods and only had a 36 hour reserve. The water levels are slowly coming down and people are starting to be allowed to go back to their houses now. So far, the government is doing good, they're always making comparisons of how they don't want to make the same mistakes as in Katrina. I'm uploading some pictures now of near my dad's work. It's taking a while to upload, so I'll put them up as soon as I can.