Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Worrying over back petting cause a little Spazz

Puggles

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Kirby I was snuggling him this evening normally he enjoys a back rub or petting cause he relaxes out lays flat and purrs, this the second time I've had him and the vet check him over for a health check up, it was fine before today that check up was last month.

But today I pet him sometime he spazzes out like he pops up, jumps, makes a noise which make him uncomfortable, I really don't like my piggie to be uncomfortable with me or the idea me giving him uncomfortable time, which supposed to be a cuddle or him being petted on my lap.

Why does this happen? could it be his natural hair cause his hair goes everywhere and ideally cause he has a mow hawk naturally? Could it be his skin?

It worries me...

He might have mites. You can't see them, but if he's scratching a lot, I'd treat him for them. You can find instructions at www.guinealynx.info/mites.html.

It's definitely not because his hair grows wonky. It could be a skin thing, but the most likely cause is mites.

Don't let your vet do a skin scraping for them. It's very painful for the pigs, and it's wrong half the time. If they see mites from the scraping, they definitely have them, but they can miss them, and often do.

What other way can a vet test for these mites? If it turns out to be mites is treatment painful for the guinea pig?

Treatment for mites is not painful at all. Mites are very painful, though.

Well he doesn't itch much at all it just when I touch his back can they be ticklish? but I going take him to the vet this week for another check up say can you test him for mites & clive doesn't itch much at all

I am annoyed all the vets around here are closed on Sundays that treat guinea pigs :(

DO not have them test for mites by a skin scrapping, it is very painful. If you suspect mites, most people just treat and do not even bother with a "test". Check out the link bpatters gave you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.