Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems WORRIED open sore please advise!

dreamsofwinter

Cavy Slave
I've made a couple of posts about Frank, I'm really worried about him, he's had problems since just after we got him in feb, he had a UTI which seemed to have cleared up but think this may have brought on mites. He had his second treatment of ivermectin (topical) on saturday but is still itching and the worst thing is we've just noticed a sore on the back of his neck, he's scratched it so much it's started bleeding, the vet doesn't open till tomorrow and I don't want to just leave it in case it gets infected. Is there anything I can do to clean it or a cream I can put on? Could I make a makeshift bandage? He's ok in himself (cheeky thing :p) but he's not having much luck seems to be one thing after another. We provide everything we can for him, clean bedding, food, love, but the little fella just seems to keep getting ill. Any help on this would be great. x

I doubt you'd be able to keep a bandage on him. And if he can get to the area with his feet to scratch it, he can get any cream you'd put on it on his feet and then into his eyes and/or mouth.

Is that the only place he's scratching? Or is it just the worst?

It sometimes takes several treatments of ivermectin for the mites to go away, so you may have to give a couple more. But I think I'd ask the vet if there is something you can give to relieve the itching.

One other thing you might do is to use an emery board on his nails to file the edges down so he won't scratch himself so bad.

He seems to be itching all over but bites and scratches that spot with his back foot, he's not long since had his nails done when we took him to the vets at the end of his antibiotics, I'll give the board a try if I can get him to keep still long enough, it took myself and the vet about half an hour and lots of bribes. I was thinking that about the bandage too, would it be any better to try and bandage his feet? I've seen vests you can get aswell but would that stop the sore healing? It's so frustrating that nowhere's open till the morning and I have to go work when I just want to get him sorted! :/ I've cleaned his fur with some warm water for now and will try the board and bandage and watch him with it on the next hour or two - he's a chewer so it might not last long :p Hopefully I can get him in/speak to the vets tomorrow afternoon. x

Managed to get him into the vets yesterday, he wasn't our usual vet but gave us a spray (cortavance) to apply a couple of times a day where he's itching. Good news is the sores scabbed over again, he said there was no sign of infection and he looks healthy and 'chirpy' lol we just have to keep an eye on it, phew :) hoping the next few weeks will be much better for him, he's only about 5months and to be ill so much already makes me worry about the future. Just hope I can be good enough to give him a happy one. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.