Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes Worried about Ziggy

ZiggyMama

Cavy Slave
I took him out of his cage yesterday and one eye looked just a teeny bit crusty. I also noticed he was not as active but still pretty normal. When I got home from work today both eyes were crusty (around the edges). I called the vet right away and have an appt tomorrow after work. He is still eating fine and I don't see any nasal discharge. Since I am a new piggy mama...do they get sick every once in a while no matter how well they are cared for? I started going through my mind trying to think of anything that could have made him sick. I will worry all day until I get home from work. I am having my husband check on him hourly until I get home. Is there anything else I should do?
Thank you

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear about your cavy. But, it's closing in on a year (8 months counting this one) Since I got my piggies and so far I haven't had any problems with sickness. I've read that some members have to take some cavies to the vet for stuff often and some never have to go once. I guess it just depends on how strong your cavies immune system is. Other than that I don't know, sorry.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I think taking him to a vet is the best bet. Sometimes pigs do just get sick, sure, like dogs and cats. I think you can do every possible thing right and still have your piggy get sick.

Hopefully whatever is causing him trouble is easily treated if anything at all. Best of luck to you. When my pigs aren't feeling well or I'm worried about them, I always give them a hot water bottle, or a cuddlesafe and that way I know they are staying nice and warm.

You might also check this site, if you haven't already:

Guinea Lynx :: Medical Guide

ZiggyMama

Cavy Slave
Re: Worried about Ziggy/UPDATE

I took Ziggy in...he lost 5 ounces but thankfully it was just conjunctivitis. He is on eye drops twice a day. I am so glad it wasn't a URI!!!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Oh good! Hopefully he'll be back to his old self in no time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.