Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Worried about my piggie

keehnle

Cavy Gazer
I adopted Gus~Gus about a month ago. He was in a store cage so I gave him lots of floor time because of his small cage. I purchased a C&C and he seemed to be sooo much happier. He was popcorning all around and chirping. I purchased him new toys and a castle. Now a week later all he wants to do is hide in his castle (no popcorning or chirping). I still take him out for loads of floor time (Im a stay at home mom and he is my pet). Tonight I noticed that when I put in fresh fruits and veggies, no matter where I place them in his cage he grabs it and takes it back into his castle. Should I be concerned with this?

xxlizzybordenxx

Cavy Slave
My piggies were definately super excited when i put them in their new C&C cage but it definately took them ahwile to adjust. I also noticed that they do hide more when i put in veggies or food and also when i try to pick them up, i think some of that has to do with just the fact that they have more places to hide!! It sounds like your piggy might just be adjusting still to his surroundings. Is your cage on the floor or on a table? Supposedly its more stressful for them to be on the floor. I wouldn't worry too much unless he stops eating or the behavior continues for awhile. Just my experience, hope it helps!

keehnle

Cavy Gazer
I think you are right about the adjusting. I was in the room spiffing it up today. I grabbed a chip bag and he went nuts....In a good way.. He was popcorning and squeeking and chirping...I had been sick with migraines for a couple of days and maybe that had something to do with it all...I cant feed him the chips or give him the bag but the bag just may be worth washing and saving for me to make noises for him.

Also, Since I have put him in his bigger cage I have finally seen him lay down and rest instead of just cramming up in a corner. I forgot to mention that on my earlier post!

Cavies!

Cavy Slave
I think that's normal behavior for adjusting GPs. Think of it this way, a guinea pig just went from a small tight cage, to a huge more open spaced cage. It was probably exited at first but then scarred to be out in the open. GPs are prey animals they probably feel safer hiding.

If you walk away from the cage and look around the corner or where it can't see you, or thinks your gone and watch it's actions.

I hope this helps.

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
Are you going to get him a friend? I think they come out of hiding more when they have the security of a buddy also!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.