Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet worried about my girls eyes, going to the vet soon help!! quick!

littlerae

Cavy Slave
Ok so I am going to the vet in an hour because my little girl Nala is worrying me. Her eyes are not goopy or crusty, but she sometimes acts as though they are irritating her, and like she can't open them all the way.. Other times they look perfectly normal, but its almost like they are not sticking out as much as they should :p I know that sounds funny, but I think something is wrong :/ It's like they are partly sunken in, or maybe the pink inside of her eye is a bit swollen or something?? anyways they just seem to be bothering her so I am taking her in just in case... The vet I am going to is a bit pricey.. so I don't want to get there and have them tell me nothing is wrong and send me away for a $60 office visit! ... So does anyone know what this could be and what she may need for her eyes so I can fight for her if I have to?? This vets office says they have experience with guinea pigs, but I honestly think most people on here know more about guinea pig illnesses then vets do haha... pretty sad on their part, but thats why I am so thankful for this forum! PLease let me know VERY soon if you think you may know what is going on with her.. I have to leave pretty quick. I just lost a Guinea pig two weeks ago for no apparent reason :( and I really don't want Nala to go down hill.

please help! thanks

Can you post some pictures? And does she not open her eyes all the way all the time? Because this might sound a bit obvious, but if she's just squinting sometimes she could just be sleeping.

no its not just her sleeping cause sometimes she will do it just when she is like eating food or something :/.. and she did have goopy eyes when I first got her so she was on URI medicine for a week, and now they're not goopy, but still look irritated.. I'll see if I can get a picture, but like I said sometimes they look perfectly fine :/ I'll go grab her.

[GuineaPigCages.com] worried about my girls eyes, going to the vet soon help!! quick! I don't know if you can see it real well here, but she is kind of squinting it a little bit, and there was a little bit of a crusty in the top corner too... I am just so worried about her

How long has this been happening? I took my piggie to the vets not long ago for her eye, she kept closing it slightly. They put dye in her eye and had a look to see if anything was in there - in my pigs case it was all clear, and I got eye drops to take home just in case. Obviously I would have gone back to the vets had it got worse, but it seemed to get better on its own. When I was thinking whether to go to the vets or not I looked on guinea lynx - this is what they say about eyes: https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

I think you will agree after reading that you should take her just in case - you don't want to risk it being something serious! Also the vets might be more helpful with eye problems (rather than general illness) cos the dye shows up anything that shouldn't be there, and they can see what might be wrong using their magnifying tool ( I don't know what it is called lol).

If you do go let us know what happened! Good luck :)

I did go! I couldn't risk anything happening to my baby.. So I brought her in! They gave me an eye ointment to put on her eyes so hopefully it gets all better quickly! They were expensive there though... $85 and I was only there for 18 minutes TOTAL. I think that is so ridiculous. BUT worth it for my baby.. won't be going back there though. :p I like my other vets office better and its way more affordable. Even though its like 40 minutes from me. :/

they gave me an ophthalmic eye ointment to help reduce her irritation since that's all it seems to be.

I also did not like this vet because she said if it was a URI she would have prescribed her amoxicillin!!!! :O HUGE NO NO!!! I looked up on guinealynx to make sure this ointment was safe because that worried me that she didn't know amoxicillin is very dangerous to guinea pigs! and they told me they were experienced with guinea pigs... that made me angry. Definitely won't be a returning customer to them...

Oh well thats good news :) Apart from the cost - just worked it out in £ and wow that is a lot! Did they give you stuff called Tiacil? Thats what I got for my Pixie.

I also did not like this vet because she said if it was a URI she would have prescribed her amoxicillin!!!! :O HUGE NO NO!!! I looked up on guinealynx to make sure this ointment was safe because that worried me that she didn't know amoxicillin is very dangerous to guinea pigs! and they told me they were experienced with guinea pigs... that made me angry. Definitely won't be a returning customer to them...

I can't believe that - it is appalling practice by vets!! :(

I know!!! I was close to walking out of there as soon as she told me that!! but I felt so bad for nala's eyes... and no its not tiacil it is like a triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointment.. which guinealynx said can help with irritation.. so hopefully it DOES help or I will be so upset with this veterinary office!

Yes, that's usually what's prescribed.

the eye ointment? or are you referring to the amoxicillin?

The eye ointment.

ok good.. her eyes seem to be doing much better now!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.