Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Worried about incisor angle

5crazycavies

Cavy Slave
I noticed just 2 days ago that one of my guinea pigs has got a very strange wear pattern on her incisors, and I'm worried that she's not eating as much because of it. Fermi is a 2 1/2 year old female that weighs 28 ounces, plus or minus about 3/4 of an ounce (roughly 780g). Presently she is at 27.1 ounces, and hasn't been eating much in the past couple of days compared with the 4 other guinea pigs I have.

Tuesday I examined Fermi's teeth because she seemed more shy than normal, and declined some fresh veggies. I found a 45 degree wear pattern on her teeth, and worry that this isn't good for her.

I looked on the forum here and couldn't find anything similar. Has anyone ever seen teeth wear like this before? In the photo it looks like her teeth don't overlap, but it was just how I was holding her. The top and bottom teeth meet. Should I take her to a vet about this? I moved to a new area about a year ago and don't have a trusted vet yet, as I haven't one yet.

I found posts that specifically say DON'T get your cavy's teeth trimmed, because of the risks the vet will use anathesia, the stress to the animal and the chance they will trim them back too far.

I've examined the way she eats, and she prefers taking food in on one side, but chews with both sides. I felt her upper and lower jaws and she didn't flinch from any discomfort. She does not drool, and can eat kibble, hay and veggies still. I feed my guinea pigs as much kibble and hay as they can eat, and fresh veggies twice a day or a rotating variety, so she's at least eating healthy when she decides to eat.

Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated, especially if I'm stressing over nothing. Thanks!
photo.php

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
My vet said that incisor angle may be an indication of molar angle, and the molars should be looked at by a vet.
Especially if you are noticing differences in eating habits.

With my piggie, her incisors were at an odd angle, but when her molars appeared perfect via vet analysis, the vet said she probably just chipped them and keep an eye on them to make sure they even out.
Her incisors evened out and there were no future issues, but I suspect she chipped them from excessive playing with her water bottle spout.

In your piggies case, you are listing much more severe warning signs, and she needs to be looked at ASAP.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.