Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Worried about Gus

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
My pig, Gus, was treated with oral invermectin weeks back and developed diarrhea soon after. I suspect the Ivermectin is what caused it. So I went back to the vet and got him on meds for it and soon his poop was solidifying and back to normal color!

However, the diarrhea has returned, he isn't eating and he seems a bit lethargic. I picked him up and he feels like he's lost a bit of weight too!

I started the meds (bene-bac) again and hopefully this will take care of the problem - only time will tell.

Please send prayers, happy thoughts or good vibes out for Gus to start feeling better soon :-(

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Hopefully the bene-bac will help for now, but I suggest seeing a vet as lethargy is a serious sign and warrants an emergency vet visit.

Also try to increase his hay intake, and if he's not eating you may have to hand feed.

ChristyG

Cavy Slave
Sending lots of prayers to you!! ((((HUGS)))

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Does your vet carry critical care? If you take him in make sure to ask for some so you can feed it to him if nessesary.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: I took Gus to the vet today. She said other than the crusties and mucus, his eyes look great (not red or swollen) and he's dehydrated but not that badly. She said his kidneys feel fine too.

She gave him a big dose of Bene-bac and said that I should get some jars of babyfood (she suggested squash, green beans, etc) and mix the bene-bac with the baby food in the syringe so the bitter taste of the med is lessened. She also said to have regular food available to him for whenever he is ready to have some.

I gave him almost one full syringe of the baby food tonight, plus I syringe fed him some water. He fell asleep right on my lap (which he's never done before) and even did the leg sticking out, thing. So HOPEFULLY this means he is at least feeling comfortable.

However, he's got this twitch thing going on. I'm not sure what's causing it but even when he was sleeping, he had this small jerking twitch.

Anyway, now that I can get some food/nutrients in him through the baby food and some meds in him for the diarrhea and water for the dehydration, I'm hoping this means he will soon be on the road to recovery.

Positive thoughts and/or prayers are welcome.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
It's now 2:40 in the morning and I believe Gus is worse off than we suspected. As he's been resting, he's been making these whining noises (almost like a dog might when having a bad dream).

He wandered out from his igloo and tried to get into the hay box but couldnt make it all the way in so I helped him the rest of the way. I think he was trying to find a comfortable place to sleep. After a couple of minutes, he stumbled out (again needing help) and went into the other igloo and is laying flat.

Not sure how to help.

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Oh sweetie. I'm so sorry. Until morning or if you can get him to an emergency vet The only thing you can go is offer plenty of cuddles and hugs. Thinking of you and Gus xoxo

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Thanks Poppy, I've got him on my lap in a towel now. Im petting him and he seems more comfortable. Comfortable enough to sleep anyway.

Im hoping that morning brings more promising news.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
He was just at the vet yesterday.

I would make a thinnish pellet mash and mix baby food into it. That way he also gets nutrients found in the pellets as well.

Are there any other signs at all?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
He was just at the vet yesterday.

I would make a thinnish pellet mash and mix baby food into it. That way he also gets nutrients found in the pellets as well.

Are there any other signs at all?

That's a good idea about the pellet mash. I had done that with pigs in the past. Ill try that!

He had some discharge from his eye and nose. I asked the vet about it (thinking it could be a URI) but she said it had more to do with the dehydration.

He's lost a bit of weight too. He's quite the plump little pig when healthy but now he feels so light. He hasn't been eating or drinking. He's lethargic and has the diarrhea.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry about Gus. Try hand feeding him and see if that doesn't help. I too, am sending you good vibes and the very best.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Discharge from nose and eyes normally means URI, the diarrhea could have caused the dehydration. The vet should have put him on AB's.

Nasal discharge, eye discharge and lethargy are all classic signs of a URI. I'd be pushing your vet to get him on some AB's or find another vet.

I honestly don't think it's related to you giving him ivermectin. He may have been coming down with something for a while as cavies are really good at hiding illness.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I tried syringe feeding the baby food/pellet mash but it all came back out so I don't think he's swallowing anything.

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Would he maybe lap it off your finger ?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
He's starting to have convulsions and he's struggling to breathe. He is on my lap in a towel. Im petting him but this is so hard to watch but I am glad I am here to comfort him rather than him going through this alone.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
At 4:45 this morning, Gus's little body couldn't hold out any longer. He took a trip over the rainbow bridge. I feel like I want to throw up and I can't stop crying.

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Oh mama i'm so sorry. He had you with him while he slipped away. At last he wasn't alone. R.I.P Gus. Big hug to you mama.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
I'm soooo soooo sorry for your loss. Rest in piece lil' Gus. Cavymamma, I'm so sorry, I wish I could be there with you to give help give you comfort, I send it through my heart, thoughts and prayers. You have all my support and love.
Godbless you both...rest in peace sweet lil Gus.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Oh I'm so sorry. Now I'm all upset and I feel so bad you all. You, your family and piggies are in my thoughts and prayers.

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
Oh I'm so sorry. That's very sad. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Take comfort in the fact that he wasn't alone and he knew how much you loved him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.