Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Woot, Cavy Slave! Blog time!

Blog entry from old forum

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
So, the girls are all settled in happily now, living all together in their wee mansion. And about a fortnight ago we were looking at the said wee mansion and my boyfriend suddenly goes "We've got the room for another guinea pig you know. What was that rescue you were looking at the other day?"

My jaw hit the floor. From not being sure about having one at home, Stoph's turned around to the point where he gushes over them, wants to build a grass box for them and is talking about adopting? Talk about a turn around!

So, I started trawling through all the local rescues. Between us, Stoph and I started making numerous phone calls, but we couldn't find any sows in our local area. I mean literally, none. There's a guinea pig rescue a couple of towns over from us, 90+ cavies in their care, and every single one is a boar!

So we sat down and talked about adopting a boar, but I was concerned about; a) the possibility that if we adopted a whole fella he'd have to be neutered, which seemed cruel in my opinion when he could go to another home where he wouldn't potentially live with girls and have to go through that operation; b) If we did adopt a neutered boar, would he settle in well with the girls? Sigrun is very dominant but she and the girls have sorted out the pecking order and live together so happily now, I didn't want to upset this balance by introducing a boar into the mix.

FInally I went back to making phone calls, trawling through the local papers. I thought I was onto something when I saw an ad about 5 sows needing rehoming and was SO excited, but after a whole week of this person not picking up her phone or answering my emails I had to give up.

Then last weekend my boyfriend suddenly remebered recently we'd visited a lady's house who'd had an accidental pregnancy. She thought she had bought two girls, but one was a boy and the sow was ENORMOUS when we went over. So we popped over again last week to find two little 2 week old pups in the cage with mum, one of them pure white with rosettes on her side and a little mohawk, the other smooth coated and the palest shade of ginger.

If the white one is a girl, she'll be given a home with us as the lady cannot keep all four piggies. We're holding out now she is, hopefully the lady will sex them by the end of this week, I told her it needed to be done by 3 weeks in case there's a boy in there.

If she is a girl, it'll be like a miracle adoption fell into our laps. I said to Stoph when we started thinking about bringing a new family member home that in an ideal world I would love a little white abyssinian. When I saw that little face looking out at me from that cage I fell in love. I've got a 50% percent chance it could be a boy, so I know I shouldn't have. But there's a 50% chance it could be a girl too, so that's my excuse...

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Awww, I hope she's a girl! I'm starting to have a thing for white bunnies and white guinea pigs. I have no idea where it's coming from. A white abby...(sigh, drool)
Hows about a picture of said "wee mansion"? I love cage pics, taht way I don't fall for other peoples piggies, LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.