Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Wool?safe?

FatNfluffy

Cavy Slave
So, heres the situation. Its really really cold were i live right now , and so its cold in my house.Im worried about the pigs getting cold , so can i put wool ,made for rodents ,in their pigaloo/ hiding spots for them? Or shall i get a pouch which is lined with soft fabric which the guinea pigs can snuggle up in?

How cold in your house? Pigs tolerate cold a lot better than they do heat. Just ask mommazilla -- she raked one out of several feet of snow and had been there for two or three days, and he's no worse the wear for it.

Do you mean Vetbeds? I've never seen anyone use real wool in their cages. Vetbeds are safe to use. You can offer them snuggle pouch if you'd like. My boys really like their cozies.

Wool?safe?

OMG best.....picture.....ever!

No wool, pig often explore using their mouths just like children. Wool could cause blockage & damage their insides. Rodent wool is dangerous for all rodents. You can make stuffed cozies of fleece or vetbed as mentioned above. Vetbed is a great option as it reflects their body heat really well. If the room is drafty, you could drape towels over the cage.

In really cold situations, you can take a warm(not too hot) water bottle & cover it with a sock or towel for them to snuggle up to. But that's usually only needed with sick pigs, or pigs recovering from surgery.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.