Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding WOOL Blankets as under Fleece Pad?

4theLOVEofPigs

Cavy Slave
I have access to a couple of "NEW" WOOL Blankets and was thinking of using them as padding under my fleece.

But was wondering if anyone has ever tried this?

How well would it wick/asorb out the pee, As compared to a U Haul blanket?
Would it Itch or cause my girls any sort of problems?

I know I myself don't like them cause they itch the hooey out of me and I didn't want to do the same to my girls. :D

I'm not sure how well they will asorb the pee but since they would be under the fleece I wouldn't think it could bother the girls???

Wool is not absorbent, and won't work well under the fleece.

That's what I thought from when I was younger and I had washed some for my Mother but I just wanted to make sure before I spent the time cutting them down... :eek:

Wool is not absorbent, and won't work well under the fleece.

If wool WAS absorbant, sheep would be in trouble! LOL

Good One Mama: I'm just ashamed I didn't think of that one myself.
If my wife heard that she'd ask if you'd been hang around me to much... :D ;) :p

If wool WAS absorbant, sheep would be in trouble! LOL

It would depend on the wool, but many of us cloth diapering mamas used it as a diaper cover because the lanolin in it actually works to prevent leaks...we used to add more lanolin after washing and those covers would be near leak-proof, so I can't see using it if you want wicking.

It is absorbent to a small degree (ie. it would contain urine leaks when used as a cover so that bedding etc. didn't get wet) but I wouldn't use it in a guinea pig cage instead of other materials. There's many better ones out there.

It's too bad really because it's also naturally anti-microbial and breathable, so it would be a decent option in theory but I can't see using it with piggies--and I used wool covers on my kids when they wore diapers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.