Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wooden Houses

bee1101

Cavy Slave
What is the general view on wooden houses? These are the only type we use, I think they are so much better than plastic ones. But when I look around the pics on the photo galleries, I see mostly plastic ones. Is this through choice? or wooden houses not being availiable where you are?

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I think plastic houses are easier to clean then the plastic ones.

ParanoidEv

Cavy Slave
I've got a wooden house. It's not that hard to clean. I mean, my piggies don't mess up the house so much. And they love to chew on it!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Wooden houses are perfectly acceptable. Pigloos (the plastic ones) tend to be more cheaper

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
My pigs love their house, especially the pretty drawing i put on it.

bee1101

Cavy Slave
I personally don't think that plastic houses are much good. You can't chew on them, they can be slippy to stand on top of, don't look as nice and I don't think they keep you as warm as a wooden house. Who here would like to live in a plastic house???

The Dumpling

Cavy Slave
We made Dumpling a wooden house, as well as a wooden foodbowl. She loves gnawing on both. And they're not too hard to clean.

Katie

Cavy Slave
Who here would like to live in a plastic house???
They aren't living in a plastic house.

You can't chew on them,
They don't need to chw on them. That's what hay and fruit tree branches are for.
I wouldn't spend $20 on something just for the pigs to chew on.

don't look as nice
You're right, I think they (plastic) look better.

they can be slippy to stand on top of
Mine do it just fine.

I don't think they keep you as warm as a wooden house.
They're not there to keep them warm, just for a place to nap.

Reasons i don't like woden houses
1.) Cost
2.) Urine soaks into them, trapping in smell and bad bacteria
3.) Hard to clean
4.) Pigs chew on them, ruining them.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I got plastic ones at the time because they were much, much cheaper than the wooden ones and much much easier to clean. I only use the top and two sides of the plastic ones so they can fit comfortably in them. Basically there is nothing to clean. They were approx. $6.00 compared to the large wooden ones of $28.00. The piggies dont know the difference and they love their plastic house. They have wooden toys to chew on if they want.

The Dumpling

Cavy Slave
I think it depends on the construction of the wooden house. We made Dumpling's house with 2 different types of wood. It's shaped as a large triangular prism, with 3 sides. The two sides are made of this really thin but very hard wood - we chose this wood because it doesn't soak up liquid easily at all. The back side does not touch the ground - we made it a softer wood, and she loves to chew it. It's very spacey, and it's very tall and roomy. And it was fun/nice making it for her and watching her reaction to it. We have made adjustments since to it to make sure she's comfortable. But so it also wasn't expensive, because we made it ourselves

pennick

Cavy Slave
Its great to have a variety of different items for them. I like to change their toys and such every few days so they dont get bored. Its nice when you make something yourself. It gives you a nice feeling. I bet you felt a certain satisfaction Dumpling after you made it.

The Dumpling

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it was really fun designing her house, choosing the materials, and then making it. But the best part was after we put it in her cage and watched her explore it. She kept running around it, running inside, would pop back out, pop back in. She would put her front paws on the side (but because it's triangular shaped, she can't climb on it and use it to get out of the cage). And of course, she kept putting her mouth on it, testing it out.

ParanoidEv

Cavy Slave
pennick said:
They were approx. $6.00 compared to the large wooden ones of $28.00.
Wow that is just an insane price for a wooden house!! I've got mine (wooden house) for about 10/15? euro's.

I once bought a house of dried grass for 8 euro's. They loved it a bit too much, when my piggie still had her babies they ate the whole house...

pennick

Cavy Slave
They came in 3 different sizes. I thought the smaller one's holes were to small. I think the prices were $10.00, $18.00 and about $28.00. Maybe I will make one myself

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My pigs have two homemade plastic hidey houses. One is made from a small veggie bin that I did some cutting on to make the entrance larger. The other is a huge salad bowl I got at the dollar store and cut a door in. They can be washed down easily with vinager/water or a bleach/water solution to keep germs away. I also give my piggies cardboard hidey houses. Some are made from boxes and some are soda cartons. I cut both ends out of the soda cartons and then they have a large tunnel as well as a hidey spot. I don't want to use store bought wooden houses myself. I think if I were to make them a wooden house I would make them one out of apple tree branches and make it like those fiddlestix. That way if they chew it up, it's no expense to me because I have lots of friends with apple trees.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
My wooden house was part of my christmas present. YAY GRANDPARENTS!! lol

pennick

Cavy Slave
I tried making the twin bunk beds that I saw someone else here make out of the 1.00 plastic bowls but everytime i would try to cut a hole the plastic would crack. So much for that.

bee1101

Cavy Slave
They aren't living in a plastic house
They like houses, spend time in them, sleep in them, so I'd expect they'd want them to be warm and nibbleable.
They don't need to chw on them. That's what hay and fruit tree branches are for.
I wouldn't spend $20 on something just for the pigs to chew on.
Hay doesn't do an adequate job of keeping teeth trimmed down. I have wooden tunnels and houses and they enjoy nibbling them. Fruit tree branches are a waste of time, I find they hardly ever get nibbled, so that in itself shows what they prefer.
You're right, I think they (plastic) look better
If you think plastic look better then why not live in a plastic house yourself. How anyone can think a mademade substance dirrived from oil and used to package the stuff we eat amongst other things, can look better than a lovely well put together wooden house, I don't know!
[Mine do it just fine/QUOTE]
I'm sure they'd rather stand on natural material.
They're not there to keep them warm, just for a place to nap.

Reasons i don't like woden houses
1.) Cost
2.) Urine soaks into them, trapping in smell and bad bacteria
3.) Hard to clean
4.) Pigs chew on them, ruining them.
I'd have thought when you sleep, you'd want to be warm, am I wrong?
Wooden houses can be expensive, but not much more so than plastic from my experience, and anyway, my pigs are worth it.
Houses can be interchanged, I've never found that urine soaks into it, they don't have wooden floors you know.
They aren't hard to clean at all, spray some friendly disinfectant on them,wipe with a wet cloth and leave them to dry, is that hard?
It's healthy for the pigs to chew on them, they enjoy it and they have never once ruined one of their wooden houses.
They have eaten a few hay houses, and they weren't cheap to get eaten, but 1. They loved them and 2. They are worth it.
Thank You Katie.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Bee1101, why are you getting so worked up, you were the one who asked our opinion on plastic houses, and we are giving you them. You have made alot of convincing points, and I myself would like to own one but when i just read your post I was a little astonished at the tone of your voice. After all, we are talking about houses.

dandelion

Cavy Slave
mine have a wooden house and two hay nests that they love to eat and have almost accomplished destroying one, but they love to nap in them....they were prices about 25 dollars (Canadian) a piece when you include the tax, the wood house was 15 dollars, ive never tried the plastic ones so i cant really say that the wood is better but i know that they like to chew on the houses i have for them now...they poo in them but wont pee in them

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.