Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

wooden hidey

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
im looking to make one but how should i hold it together? im guessing nails and glue would be bad.

No glue unless you know it's safe and out of reach for the pigs, and it probably won't hold as well. Nails & staples are used in most pet store hideys, but you really need to make sure your pigs can't reach them.

And we want pictures of the results. :D

what about liquid nails? and where would you suggest to put the staple or nails so the guinea pig cant get to them?

I've never built a wooden hidey before but I know the one I have now is woven (though I'm sure that would take forever!). You could always go to stores and look at how the wooden ones are built to get some ideas. Also it depends on what kind of design you are going for as to where the hardware should go.

i found two in the picture section of this forum. one was bought and one made. the one made was two storys which i thought was cool maybe i can post the pics here?

oh and would pine be bad to use for the wood?

The scary part is, some pigs chew chew chew. The glue may be dangerous if it's ingested, or nails can be swallowed if small enough.

then how do they make the ones at petstores? also could i make a tunnel out of carpet?

I'd glue it. Elmer's Carpenter's Glue is non-toxic. You can just keep an eye on how much they're chewing the hidey, and throw it out when they get to a glue line.

maybe just glue the top?

A carpet tunnel is going to get pretty yucky. I've found that the best thing to do with tunnels is to make them so there's no bottom to them. Then all the pee and poop just goes onto the bedding and can be thrown out when the cage is changed.

I'm not sure what you mean about just gluing the top? I wouldn't put any nails or staples anywhere in a wooden hidey -- I'd glue the whole thing together.

couldnt you wash the carpet though? ive been trying to think of things to make tunnels with bc my guinea pig loves them. im going to a carpet store tomorrow if they have any of the tubes they use and if not im going to buy some pvc pipe. thanks for the help ill use the elmers carpenters glue

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.