Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Hidey

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I have the chance to make my piggies a Hidey House out of woood. I Know you shouldn't make cages out of wood but I wasn't sure about hideys.

It would be pine and I'd be sure they could fit through it. But I wasn't sure if it was okay for them to chew on or smell. Thanks in advance!

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Any ideas anyone? Thanks again.

pocket83

Cavy Slave
I made one from pine, and they love it. Im a carpenter, so it was unavoidable. They do chew it alot, but from what i gather it is harmless. Just don't polyeurethane it or anything, that may be toxic. I sealed mine with shellac, which is totally non-toxic. In fact, they actually coat apples with it. You may be able to seal it with a type of oil, but not vegetable because it turns rancid. You would have to do some research to find a suitable sealing oil that is non toxic. If you dont seal it, the wood will become filled with bacteria because of its porosity. They have a tendency to back out of the hole a little bit and do their business, and that usually gets some on it. Maybe I should have made the holes not so much a hole and more a door without a bottom. Hope I helped.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
As long as the pine is kiln-dried which most pine lumber is, it's okay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.