Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hiding Wont stop hiding

stephandcorey

Cavy Slave
Got Tapper, 6-8month boar, 7/2/12, and he will not stop hiding. I had to move his food beside his house so he could eat. He doesnt eat a lot either. Ive had two sow piggies before but it was over 5 years ago. Any advice? He is by himself. For now. [GuineaPigCages.com] Wont stop hiding

He is still getting used to the place. Give him some time. He is adorable! Are you planning on adopting a companion for him?

(A tip--don't feed pellets that have colored bits/seeds/nuts in them. The best pellet to feed is a high quality plain pellet, like Oxbow or (broken link removed) )

I hope so, im sure it is hard for him. I have a female boxer about 3 years old and she likes to watch him. If Tapper is eating and Stormie is watching Tapper will stop eating and hide.

Also the food came in the starter kit but I cannot stand to waste it.

He will settle in! It took Poppy about 1 month to calm down!

As far as the pellets, you could throw them out for birds or squirrels to eat! That wouldn't be a waste! :D

Moving his house and food around doesnt hurt him?

Good idea for the food!

It might help him explore his surroundings a bit!

Forgot to mention, he is adorable!!!

I would look at getting him a buddy tho, they do best in pairs. While I do have a 'Lone Boar' they are a rarity.

Thank you! My fiancee picked him out!
I kinda hope he is a 'Lone Boar' so we can spoil him!

Even if he has a buddy you can still spoil them both!!!! :D

It is also so much fun to see them interact! I tried to bond Poppy several times and he went absolutely insane! Tried to attack the boys and the neutered girls. He was also an adult when I got him.

Oh goodness! I just dont want any sex to over power and be the dominating one so ill tyr another shy one maybe in a week.

Got Tapper, 6-8month boar, 7/2/12, and he will not stop hiding. I had to move his food beside his house so he could eat. He doesnt eat a lot either. Ive had two sow piggies before but it was over 5 years ago. Any advice? He is by himself. For now.View attachment 29709

Don't worry. My guinea pigs hid in their igloo whenever they got the chance. Soon however they spent less time hiding, then eventually decided igloos were over-rated and took to sleeping in a comfy corner. A good tip is to take out his hidey houses while you are around. When I did this my pigs would eat and drink and play until I put their hide house back in. But still time will bring wonderful results. I would plan on updating to a C&C cage to give him some more space to explore, another pig (you said for now :)) will very much help bring out his personality. Put a big pile of hay in one side of the cage...maybe even throw a few veggies on top! That'll tempt him!

I was worried about this when I brought home my two girls, too! My first piggie that I got while in middle school (eek, I feel old now...) got very tame very quickly, so my family and I were super worried when these girls took a while to even eat out of our hands, and my mother was convinced that Dot was never ever ever going to come out (she's so shy!).
It actually took about a week and a half and a visit from my boyfriend to convince them we aren't, in fact, going to eat them, and that it's safe for them to sleep outside to tubes, occasionally. He'll come around!

What a sweet piggy! I'll second what the others have said, that it won't make him less social with you to have a friend. While that's true of some animals, like birds, it has no effect on guinea pigs. Instead, you get the great fun of watching them interact. The change in Borat was amazing when we got him Amy for a companion, even though they could only interact through grids because of mis-sexing (we were originally told Bo was a girl).

Hiding is a prey animal's nature, but guinea pigs are very food motivated. They come around once they realize that big biped that's always staring at them isn't trying to eat them but instead is bringing them good things to eat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.