Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Won't stop eating bedding!

BellaBabyPuff

Cavy Slave
Ella, whom we adopted in November, seems to enjoy the litter box bedding a little too much. She sits at the litter box like it's the food bowl and just starts eating! I took out all bedding for a while and just put towels in there, although I changed them daily there will still a strong odor and the pigs seem to be a little stinky too. I tried putting the bedding back in today and she just started eating away immediately. It's actually kind of funny because she's the ditzy pig, but what can I do to prevent her from eating the bedding!? I'm afraid she will get sick. I use Fibercore Eco Bedding. I really like that bedding and don't care to switch since I have a huge bag left and I think she would eat Carefresh or Yesterday's News too, although I will switch as a last resort. Any suggestions appreciated!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Are you feeding unlimited high quality grass hay?

BellaBabyPuff

Cavy Slave
Yes, lots of hay always.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Then I would try switching bedding. If you want to use up your bag, use a layer of that and then a layer of something else on top. If she eats the new bedding too, you might just want to do fleece everywhere.

Does she have a friend? Not having another guinea pig can cause behavioral problems due to boredom.

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
You may want to try switching to different brands of bedding to see which one she won't eat. Make sure she is getting unlimited hay, pellets, and water. Along with another piggie friend, like akstrohm mentioned, if this don't have another friend they may do things like eating the bedding because of boredom. I would also suggest some things to chew on if your don't have any in her cage.

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
Make sure she is getting unlimited hay, pellets, and water.

Hay and water should be unlimited. Pellets should be limited for adult pigs to 1/8-1/4 cup per pig per day (depending on the type of pellet, with alfalfa being more limited).

I would agree with the others who suggested trying a different brand to see if that helps.

Last edited:

BellaBabyPuff

Cavy Slave
Mixing what I have left with a new bedding is a good idea. Yes she has a friend, she was actually adopted to be a friend to our first piggie. They get along great and are always together. I always have lots of quality hay and pellets available that I buy at the local shelter. Of course fresh water too! They have chew toys available too. I take very good care of our family members, they were even on our Christmas cards! I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what worked to solve the problem! Thanks for the suggestions so far!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I take very good care of our family members, they were even on our Christmas cards! !

I figured you most likely were taking excellent care of your pigs. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an obvious problem. Occasionally someone comes along with problems like this and it turns out the pig just doesn't have hay to eat or is extremely bored.

Good luck; I hope new bedding solves the problem!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.