Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay wont eat hay but will eat grass

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
hey guys i have 2 piggies and during the day they are on the grass and on the grass with them they have a bowl of guinea pig mix a rack of hay and a water bottle. anyway they never touch any of the food i put in there only the grass. at night i put them in a night cage inside with all the food and water. they dont touch it they wait til morning to go back on the grass to eat. i ordered more hay every month but it never gets eaten why???

Is your hay a good quality hay? It should be soft, green and smell fresh. Maybe you can try clipping some grass and mixing it with their hay.

yes it is i am just worried if they haven't eaten their hay it wont keep their teeth down. would the grass down keep their teeth down while i try to figure out how to get them to eat the hay.

Grass is a better alternative to hay actually, as it's higher in nutrients than dried grass(hay). If you can provide unlimited amounts of good quality safe clean grass without pesticides & away from dogs & other animals, it's perfectly fine.

Keep offering hay though, try mixing it with the grass. You could also try a different kind of hay as well. Like orchard, bluegrass or meadow hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.