Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Won't chew on wood?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
My girls are silly. I have KMS hay, a wooden hidey, and recently added wood blocks. But they won't chew on the wooden blocks, they eat the heck out of their hay, and chew on 1 bar of their cage which is the problem.......

I don't have much for them to chew so I added those blocks, and they wont chew them? What should I give them to chew? Is there a kind of wood they prefer over the others?

They don't have to chew on anything to wear down their front teeth. As long as the back molars are kept healthy with adequate hay consumption, you do not need to worry about the incisors. I'm not sure why this is.

Are you giving them wood so they will stop chewing other things in the cage?

As long as they're eating their hay, they aren't in danger of their teeth over growing. I do think they have wood preferences, since my girls chew the heck out of their willow hut, but won't chew any other wood items. You can try different kinds of wood, but as long as they're eating their hay it really doesn't matter if they chew wood.

Quee and Kwee have odd chewing habits as well. They have a tunnel made of woven timothy hay, which they do nibble at occasionally, but is still mostly intact. Meanwhile, they've nibbled off most of the tunnel entrances on their plastic pigloos.

They do seem to enjoy fruit wood chewing twigs. Maybe they like the bark, who knows.

They do seem to enjoy fruit wood chewing twigs. Maybe they like the bark, who knows.

A while back I tried apple sticks and they got bored with it after the bark was all chewed off!

I'd also love to know, if anyone has this information, whether wood can ever damage their throat. When I gave them those apple sticks it did seem splintery as they chewed it. It was soft wood, though. Do pigs chew it thoroughly enough that this isn't a risk?

Borat and Amy both get unlimited hay and don't bother to chew on much else. They both have a wooden chew stick in their cages and nibble on them once in a while, but not really regularly. Borat likes to chew the connectors on his Flex-E Fun-Nels, and they both chewed the orange slice treats I had left over from Mufasa. They don't get those regularly, though, since they're sugary and were bought before I knew better.

Thanks everyone!

@MissJean I don't really give them the wood just so they stop chewing the bars of their cage. I did it just because I was worried they weren't chewing enough. Of course I won't want them to constantly chew the bars of their cage, but I can ply the exposed bars out of the pen so they don't chew them anymore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.