Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wombat Professor and Sheep

subbster

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I recently adopted two piggies, Professor and Sheep, (previously living in a cage together with a few others) to be friends for my male pig Wombat. I have a concern or two I wanted to ask about.

Sheep is definately a male, but I am a little concerned that Professor may be a girl. First of all, despite checking out every sexing pic I can find on the net I can't be _positive_ he's a boy. Secondly, when I put the cage he and Sheep are in near Wombat's cage, I noticed both Wombat and Sheep got a little, er, "wet" around the genitals - a clear gooey liquid rather than urine. Is this a sign of being turned on by a female presence, or just part and parcel of the usual "dominance" mounting routine, or something else?

I am also wondering how to go about introductions. Should I introduce all three on the couch at once, or just 1 to 1? Should I try to integrate them all rather quickly, or get one of the new pigs getting along with Wombat in the main cage, then the other new one a week or so later?

I am also a little concerned that Professor will be picked on - he is a friendly piggie but has deformed front feet (he uses the backs of them to walk on). Will this be a problem in the social structure, and should I perhaps introduce him to Wombat first in the hope that Wombat's initial acceptance will provide a place in the hierarchy?

Thanks for any replys... btw I have all three seperated until I can get a better idea on Professor's sex!

subbster

Cavy Slave
Well a visit to the vet showed that Professor is a girl... So for the moment they are all seperated. Wombat (my original pig) has gone into sex beastoverdrive at any wiff of her scent... it's taken him a full day to calm down from a mis-guided meeting through the cage wall with her. Poor Sheep has been coping it in the initial introductions.

This is a real blow as Professor is the sweetest pig and I'm not sure if I feel right keeping her if she is going to have to be in another room. (I spend most of my time inthe main room here).

I'm going to trawl the messageboards for an answer, but does anyone have anything to share about keeping a girl nearby a couple of boys? Will this keep Wombat permanently agitated? (and her: she tried to break into the cage to get to him!)

mrs_eads80

Cavy Slave
Have you thought about getting her fixed. Or your two males. Then you don't have to worry about pregnancy, and they can all live happily together.

subbster

Cavy Slave
I'm considering that. I'm just concerned that it might be asking for trouble, ie if wombat still doesn't settle down or the two boys fight. Will neutering mean that she is less attractive to the boys, therefore giving a good chance of them all getting along?

Treen

Cavy Slave
I really wouldn't try multiple males with females - very few people have success with that as males will naturally compete to mate with any females present. It really is unusual to have more than one male living happily and sharing females and they don't mess around when they decide to fight, so I'd not risk trying them together.

I'd keep the two boys together and then adopt another female to keep with Professor. Does Wombat get harrassed even if Professor's at the other end of the room?

Here's a good link on introductions and such things https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm.

subbster

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the heads up on 2 boys with 1 girl. I suspected that... and the link has been invaluable...

Unfortunately, Wombat will go crazy at the slightest scent of Professor... she's currently in another room. I'm still uncertain what to do, if there is a chance of adopting her out to a good owner (anyone cavy slaves in Victoria, Australia interested in the sweetest of girls?) I would like to do so, as this amount of seperation will mean that I won't get to see her nearly as much as I'd like. Of course, if no highly suitable adoptees are available, I will get her a companion.

I'm a little concerned about Wombat and Sheep getting along in the same (2x4 cube) cage.. After 2 days they have not fought at all, but Wombat has been constantly rumblestruting and unduly (i think) mounting Sheep. Sheep seems to literaly have 5 square inches territory where Wombat will leave him alone.

I've just seperated them as Wombat has started limping on a front foot (no obvious cause or pain, assuming strain for tonight) and somehow... I can feel peace in the air.
How long should this go on before there's a concern that they won't be happy friends?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.