Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wombat on three legs

subbster

Cavy Slave
My male pig Wombat is holding his left leg close to his body, and not using it at all. I had hoped it was a minor sprain, and would fix up pretty fast, but it's been three days now and he still holds it constantly close to him, and holds it limply.

It was a case of fine one moment then limping (actually, hopping) a few hours later... I assume it was from jumping all over his new cage-mate like a pro-wrestler.

There's no sign of pain or inflamation as far as I can see... I can hold and squeeze the leg from most angles without so much as a "week" from Wombat. His appetite seems down a little and he is tending to "hide" but still comes out to be friendly. It feels like he's sulking/nursing himself.

I suddenly got the horrible idea though... maybe GP's are better at masking pain than I thought. If no change by Monday I'll take him to the Vet. I suppose, my question is to those who've had GP's with broken legs etc, do they hide it and so shoul I be looking at getting to the vet ASAP?

I would definitely get him to the vet as soon as possible to have his injury assessed properly, and get any treatment he may need (could be pain killers, restricted activity, a splint etc). You're right that guinea pigs are excellent at hiding pain and illness as this stops them standing out to predators in the wild, so if he's not using it there will be a good reason and the best thing to do is have a professional assess it as soon as possible.

If you have any questions on what to do, or about anything the vet may tell or give you, please visit Guinea Lynx (broken link removed) and post your question there.

All the best, hope he's okay.

Thanks Treen, will do!

Just a quick update...

in the wee morning a few hours before I was going to book in at the vet, I noticed Wombat was starting to use his leg again, so I decided to wait. Over the last few days he's back running around again at full speed. Yay!

:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.