Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Wishbone was chirping!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I was sitting in my kitchen and thought I heard chirping coming from one of the cages in my dining room but couldn't tell which one. I decided to quietly go get my camera to see if I could tape the sound. When I got closer to the cages, I could tell that it was Wishbone and she wasn't in a pigloo so I figured I'd try and videotape her. It was pretty dim in there because I had a small lamp on. Part way through the video, I turned on the overhead light but she just kept on chirping. I didn't have time to change to a better setting for taping it, but I think you can hear her pretty well. Nothing startled her. It was just a random chirping session. I've never heard her chirp before.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Wishbone was chirping!

I don't think I have ever heard a guinea pig make that sound before. What does it mean?

Awesome! have you checked to make sure she's okay? She looked okay, though, beautiful girl. And Beautiful singing voice!

Inle_Rabbit, they say it means they're calling the mothership. Which really means nobody has a clue why they do it, nor why they don't all do it.

Inle_Rabbit, they say it means they're calling the mothership. Which really means nobody has a clue why they do it, nor why they don't all do it.

LOL sometimes don't you wish you could ask them, "Why do you do that?"

Holy she has a pretty good set of lungs! From my experience with cavies, I wouldn't be surprised if she really was calling to the mothership :D

They are looking to go back to Iota Geminorum IV and join their wild tribble counter parts. :cool:

I don't think I have ever heard a guinea pig make that sound before. What does it mean?

She's the 4th guinea pig of mine over the years that I've seen chirping. In all three other cases, it seemed like they were startled the first time they chirped. After that, it seemed like they were warning the others. This time, I was in the next room and looked right over there when I heard it. The TV was on, so maybe she heard scared her.... I don't know. I did notice that the others in all three cages went into their pigloos and she was the only one that was in the open. She wasn't bothered by me walking up to her or turning on the light. After she was done, she seemed dazed. She just sat there and didn't move for quite awhile.

Awesome! have you checked to make sure she's okay? She looked okay, though, beautiful girl. And Beautiful singing voice!

She's fine. She's the boss of the cage so maybe she was shouting out orders or something. The one similarity with all my chirpers is that they were either very dominant or had to be separated from the others.

Awwww! I wish I had a chirper. Tell Wishbone she has a lovely voice and sings in perfect pitch.

She's the 4th guinea pig of mine over the years that I've seen chirping.

Oh pinky, how did you get to be so "lucky" ?! YES. I AM JEALOUS. lol.

Thank you so much, once again, for sharing your beautiful guinea pig canaries ! Wishbone is such a pretty girl too..ohhh she is so darn cute I wish I could give her some gentle squeezes ( Buttercup lets me, Cuddles not as much..) and smooches to your little puff ball !

Awwwzies, as long as she's good, she has a beautiful voice!

4 of my 6 pigs just stood still staring at me while I played this, and the other two hid... I wonder what they think it means?

Tiger Lily was eating when I started playing this. She froze and just listened. As soon as it ended she started eating again. Wonder what it means or if its just them singing?

I have read all different kinds of reasons for their piggies chirping ! Stories upon stories on here. I have come to the conclusion myself, that they chirp for a number of reasons.

1. In the wild, it was noted as a "warning" signal to the other pigs that danger was close by.
2. On Cavy Spirit they mention that these chirping sounds are a sign of loneliness.
3. I have heard many say that they believe that their piggies chirping is out of joy and just desires to sing ! La-la-laaa !! :)
4. Something truly scared them !

I think it can mean different things at different times, and what is going on in their surrounding environment is certainly a logical factor to consider too. Whatever the reason, it sure is something special....and not too common either. Only a lucky few, get a singing pig !

Kathlaaron, of the four reasons you mentioned for chirping, the only one I can buy is that they like to sing.

My chirper does it only when it's totally quiet and still -- nothing scary has happened. She's in a cage with her sister, to whom she's totally bonded. And an alarm sound made by an animal is usually short and sharp -- and our other one doesn't hide when it happens, she sits perfectly still and is totally mesmerized.

My money's on the mothership call.

It just occurred to me that three of my chirpers were teddies and the other was was a teddy-abby mix. One of them would chirp any time of the day but the first time was at night when something fell in the kitchen and it must have startled her.

Interesting. My teddy (Eddy Pig) hardly squeaks at all unless it is meal time. I mean not a sound unless there is a plastic bag rattling.

Oh pinky, how did you get to be so "lucky" ?! YES. I AM JEALOUS. lol.

Thank you so much, once again, for sharing your beautiful guinea pig canaries ! Wishbone is such a pretty girl too..ohhh she is so darn cute I wish I could give her some gentle squeezes ( Buttercup lets me, Cuddles not as much..) and smooches to your little puff ball !

It was just plain luck that I was sitting there. The funny thing is, it was around the same time of evening that the other one I videotaped chirped. I looked back at the date and the other one was 11-26-08. These two were both in the dimly lit dining room with the TV on in the living room. Maybe they were just being festive and "singing" some holiday tunes.

I just played the video over my speakers to see what the guinea pigs would do and they didn't do anything. Ben kept on sleeping and Eddy peeked his head up for a second then laid back down. My human boys said, "Mommy! Bird! Bird!!" and now my 4-year-old is chirping like the guinea pig. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.