Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Will this ramp idea be safe for my piggies?

Tylerryan79

Cavy Slave
Hi all! So I've just completed my 4th remodel of my cage. I've gone from a store bought cage, to a 2x4, to a 3 level 2x5(middle layer was old 2x4 cut into L) and now I moved that 3 level into another room. I've made it into one level with two 2x5's connected into an L shape. I want to take the 2x4 L shape and use it as a hay area/kitchen.

So the question: I've seen my boys jump up atleast 8" no sweat, and was thinking about having the ramp be attached to a wooden hidey I built. This would allow them to dart underneath the ramp when doing laps, but they'd still be able to jump up for the ramp to get hay/food etc. Would jumping up/down multiple times a day be ok for their legs/back etc? The height is roughly 6" give or take. My bedding is fleece with uhaul if that matters.

That should be ok. My pigs have to jump about 5-6 inches to their ramp. If you think they're having problems, you can always put a brick or stone at the end for them to hop on.

I wouldn't recommend it for older pigs, but I used a ramp that my pigs had to jump to that was 7" off the ground when I had a loft, and all four of them used it constantly, even doing zoomies around the cage.

Update: Ive had the ramp up since my first post and it's a huge hit! My two guys seem to enjoy doing their laps, and like to throw in a jump to the ramp every few passes! I love watching them with my a.m. Coffee!Thanks for the advice too, glad I joined!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.