Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Will this be big enough? Separate kitchen area needed? 2nd story or not?

sseahorse

Cavy Slave
This will house 2 boars. Will 3x4 grid cage be big enough? I might be able to make it a 3x5 grid cage, but will that become difficult to clean? I am planning to place it on a wooden dinning table so it will be off the ground by 3 feet or so. I don't want it to become difficult to clean.

Does the kitchen need to be sectioned off? I plan on using fleece with zorb, but for the first week or two, I will be using incontinence pads till I get my zorb. I was thinking putting 2 or more pads under the kitchen area. Should I section it off? Will it keep the rest of the cage cleaner? How large should the kitchen area be for 2 males?

Now, my son wants a 2nd story because he thinks it looks cool. But I read on here that they are a pain to clean under and that it takes away from the first floor space. Is it a good idea to have because the kitchen area would be away from the play space? Or should I just stick with the kiss ideology and scrap the second story?

A 3x4 is big enough for two boars. You could try add the 2nd floor. If you don't like it, just remove it.

I like having 2nd floor for hay area as it keeps hay contained. Some people don't like it.

I wouldn't use fleece in the kitchen though. Hay sticks to fleece and you'd have to brush it off everyday.

I use the bottom of the pet store cage that came with Huey in the kitchen area to help keep everything clean and orderly:D. I think you should make the cage as big as you can, I think a bigger cage is easier to clean. Try the second story and as lissie said you can always remove it if you don't like it. Check out all the different designs in the photo section for ideas. Some look easier then others to clean.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.