Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Will she use it?

Jaclyn

Cavy Slave
I just made a 2x4 for my two month old female piggy. I have to get the coroplast now, and then she can move in...hopefully tonight.

I wanted to make a 2x5 but my hubby said it was too big, and I think he might be right. So now I am thinking of making a 1x2 loft with a ramp. My though was to make this upper lever the "kitchen". Do you think that she will use it? I would just hate to make it and have her not like it or be afraid to go up a ramp to get to her food. Also, she is litter trained (for the most part) with her litter box under her hay rack, so if I move things to the upper level, and make this whole level a "litter box", will I still need to put the litter box on the main floor as well.

Keep in mind that she is young and not too spunky yet!

The only way to know is to try. If the ramp is not too steep and you make it more like a tunnel, she would probably use it.

For the litter box, you might need one under the loft. Some pigs like to use dark corners under the loft to do their business.

The jury is still out on this one. I asked the same question about a month ago. Most responses said it depends on the pig. Some are afraid of the ramps, some you can teach to use them, others will go up and down with no problem.

I had the same idea. I don't have my pigs yet, but I already built the cage. I went ahead and made the loft that I plan to use as the kitchen. Only time will tell if it was a good idea or not. I'm hoping I pick out "brave little pigs" who will run up and down at will.

Maybe a small suggestion since your baby is still very young...How about building a loft that's only about 6 inches high? The ramp would be much shorter and less steep. Then maybe once she's bigger she wouldn't be afraid of and actual loft that's sits on top on the first layer of grids.

Let me know if you need a picture to understand what I'm talking about. I'll see if I can find one in the gallery, I know there's a few around there somewhere.

That's a good idea! I can just zip tie the cube to whatever layer I want

She'll use it, but you may have to train her. Space out treats on the ramp, and she'll follow the trail. Start going down rather than up -- for some reason, it seems to be easier

But lissie is right -- she may be more apt to use it if it's covered in some way. You can drape a towel or fleece over it, or cut the bottom and ends out of a soda pop box. It won't last long, but maybe long enough for her to get over her fear of the ramp.

Make sure the ramp has good traction -- I put a fleece pad in mine that's clipped from underneath. And if it's too steep, just fix it so that it doesn't go all the way to the floor. You can always put a brick underneath it as a stepping stone until she gets used to the height.

She'll use it, but you may have to train her. Space out treats on the ramp, and she'll follow the trail. Start going down rather than up -- for some reason, it seems to be easier

But lissie is right -- she may be more apt to use it if it's covered in some way. You can drape a towel or fleece over it, or cut the bottom and ends out of a soda pop box. It won't last long, but maybe long enough for her to get over her fear of the ramp.

Make sure the ramp has good traction -- I put a fleece pad in mine that's clipped from underneath. And if it's too steep, just fix it so that it doesn't go all the way to the floor. You can always put a brick underneath it as a stepping stone until she gets used to the height.

So, do you think it is a good idea then? And should I start off with jut the flat cage, or start with two levels? I could do either, but I do want to get her into the cage ASAP!

Start any way you want. You can make one level, and add the loft later. Or put them both in now. It doesn't make any difference at all.

Okay, thanks!

I should say...under that

I should say...under that

Can't really speak to that since I've never had this set up, or a guinea pig for that matter...LOL

That would be my concern too, but it seems to work for some people. Maybe make it a little higher to make it easier to reach under... Great thing about C&C cages is how adaptable they are. You can try something out and change it all around if it doesn't work out. :)

As long as it isn't too steep and there is a way to grip as she goes up it then she probably will. If she isn't using it either adjust the height or the fabric.

I am going to make the second level once my piggy bedspreads get here. I can't wait

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.