Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Will Piggies Overeat?

zoenanai

Cavy Slave
Wondering if my two young piggies can possibly overeat? Both are boys and ages are within a couple weeks of each other - probably around 3 to 3-1/2 months old. Connor, who was the smaller of the two, eats like crazy! I give them fresh veggies twice a day - morning and evening. They have Oxbow performance pellets and Oxbow timothy hay. I leave a small/med sized bowl of pellets and their hay upstairs for them to eat whenever they want. Veggies usually consist of 1-2 full leafs of lettuce (green or red leaf) broke into pieces, 5-6 parsley or cilantro stalks (I rotate them), and 2-3 1/4" in strips of green bell pepper. Sometimes a baby carrot for each or a slice of apple.

Connor is my concern. He's the one who squeaks for food in the morning and eve. He pigs out each time I bring the fresh veggies in. He eats the stuff like he's starving. After they're done with veggies, I find him eating more pellets and hay. Can he overeat? I noticed his belly was feeling very full/round the other day...I kept joking that he was pregnant. Do piggies have growing spurts like kids? I know my kids will eat and eat and eat when they are having a growing spurt.

Anything I should be concerned with? Thanks! :)

well, zoenanai,iv been checking back to see if anyone has answered you yet,and nothing yet. my go,strawberry,was the grunt of her litter is a yr. and half, and eats all the time. I required her from a breeder that didn't want to breed her anymore and the other girls in the cage were being mean to her,not letting her eat etc. at that time she needed to gain some weight. well since I've had her she has gained,looks better,but she does eat. hope someone can let us know. god bless

Thanks. I've been watching my two boys to make sure it isn't a dominance thing and that they're both eating freely. I don't see any problems there. Connor is actually the less dominant of the two. Maybe he just needs the extra nutrition at this point. We'll see. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.