Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Will my Piggy Get Out?

Rayvn

Cavy Slave
Well, I got my C&C cage a while ago, and I recently trained my piggy to "prairie dog" for veggies. This resulted in my piggy standing up with his forepaws on the bars during feeding time. When he's standing up as much as he can, his head nearly goes all the way over the bars, and I was thinking that if he tried to climb at all then he would be out in an instant.

The cage looks very nice with an open top and it's easier to clean, so I don't want to have to put a top on it. Are guinea pigs climbers? :confused:

From what I understand the top isn't necessary to keep them in, but rather to keep others out, like cats

Some pigs can be climbers, but the ones I have heard of doing this have generally been boars climbing from their cages to get to sows. My pigs all stand at the bars begging for food and I haven't had an escape. Unless you see him climbing I wouldn't be concerned, countless people have open top cages without pigs escaping.

@Jaclyn: Tops are also very important if intact boars are kept in separate cages around sows. A boar determined to mate can overcome many obstacles, including grids and even unsecured lids, to get to sows.

And, some pigs do climb to get out of their cages. I've even heard of one climbing to get back in!

If your cage is on a table, you might want to put a lid on it. If you've got other loose animals or small children, you definitely want a lid on it. If you've got an unneutered male and unspayed females, you definitely need not only a lid, but one that's fastened down on both cages.

guinea pigs can actually just really really high (according to my own experience). so at your case he might actually get out of his cage. the best way is adding a cover for your cage, but at the same time it can be taken of so that it is easy for you to change the bedding and clean the cage. you can use rope or something like that to tie you cover over the cage so you can take it of and rope is inexpensive.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.