Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Will it get any better?

AggiePig

Cavy Slave
I think some of you might be familiar with my now just over two week old pups Riff and Raff. I'm growing a little frustrated.

Aggie, their mother is doing very well, and is even putting some weight back on. She will sit still for me when I put my hand into the cage to pet her (as long as my arrival is very clearly announced and doesn't give her a start her that is!) and is still okay with being held until the babies notice her disappearance and start yelling for her. The problem, her sons Riff and Raff apparently HATE to interact with me. They are more than happy to shuffle up to my hand for veggies, but will dash away if it looks as though I might stroke them or (horror of horrors!) pick them up.

When I do manage to gently corner and pick them up, they very promptly begin screaming for mother. They'll even scream around mouthfuls of their favorite veggies!

The boys are abyssinian, and I'm very careful to pet them in short little strokes with one finger in whatever direction the crazy grain of their fur happens to be. I've never hurt them when holding them, although being tipped upward to expose their genitalia and determine boar or sow is probably a little unnerving.

So is this just a part of being very young, or did I "luck out" and get two babies that dislike human physical contact? I'm willing to spend what time I can attempting to acclimate them, but I don't want to continue to push if they'll only resent the attention.

Many thanks to all

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Babies are energizer bunnies. They can't sit still. It's just their nature to go and explore, so as they age they usually calm down a bit. I would keep holding them, try holding them all together with mom so they feel safe. The interaction at a young age will help them as the grow older.

porkchopsmom

Cavy Slave
maybe durring floor time you could sit in the enclosure and let them come to you. That is what my son Eric did when we got wild Maggie. It took a lot of sitting time and for a 6 yr. old it was hard. But when Maggie finally came up and sat by him it was worth it. Now she will let him hold her for a bit. She is still scared, but when she decides to come to him it seems to be ok. She gets extra veggies also.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.