Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior will he be depressed?

kendalm7

Cavy Slave
my friends going away for 2 weeks and her piggys going to live with ours in his cage, they play together some days and get along great im just worryed after the 2 weeks when her piggy leaves will my harvey be depressed because the other piggys gone? please help!:sad:

The issue here is that pigs don't have "play dates", and visits like humans. Once they meet, they begin to establish their dominance. If you then separate & re-introduce them, it will begin all over again & put a lot of unnecessary stress on the pigs.

To answer your question, yes, introducing a herd member, especially to a single pig and then break them up might create a depression as guinea pigs are highly social herd animals, and need company of their own kind. If you are going to break them apart as the other pig isn't yours, don't put them together at all is my advice.

if you own a single pig and he's housed with multiple pigs while your friend is gone, he most likely will be lonely once they leave. have you thought about getting him a buddy after the 2 pigs are returned home?

are they all males? make sure the guinea pigs are all the same sex or you may end up with a pregnant pig and an unhappy friend.

are you sure if your friends' pigs are healthy? if they have mites or any sort of contagious illness/infection/parasite, your pig will catch whatever they have.

lastly, make sure the cage is big enough to house 3 pigs for that length of time, seeing as cramped conditions can cause pigs to fight and it's uncomfortable for them. (also leaving you with an unhappy friend and pigs)

https://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm
https://www.guineapigcages.com/

t
here is some useful information for you! the social life link provides information about introducing (about halfway down the page). i see you said that played together a few days ago, however playing and living together are two different things- you may not be aware how well they will get along for extended periods of time.

the cage link will provide you with proper cage sizes for 3 pigs, however i'm not sure if you want to house them together while your friend is gone. good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.