Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wicked Loud!

melodypig

Cavy Slave
Ok. So I came home from work and I'm three rooms away from Leia. And all of a sudden I hear this insane loud wheeking! "wheek wheek wheek wheek!" I look in and she is sticking her head out of her hidey house and she was just wheeking like crazy! What would cause this!?:eye-poppi I'm baffelled!

I hope she can wait till tuesday for the vet visit!:weepy:

Most likely she heard you come home and was greeting you/begging for veggies. Get used to it. Once they figure out the sounds of the refridgerator, coming home from work, daily routine in general they learn when to beg for food.

If she was really feeling ill she wouldn't be making that much noise. She would probably try to stay quiet so as not to let a predator know where she was.

I absolutely agree. As I come home from work and as soon as the key enters my door my husband says the piggies start wheeking. They are quiet all day, but they know their mommy is home and its yummy time.

My piggy brownie is my vocal gal out of the herd. On day I was talking to my daughter, standing next to their cage. All of the sudden my brownie starts wheeking really loud. I looked at her puzzeled, and could not figure out why she was making all the noise. Then I looked down, and relized I had a radish in my hand that I was eating (of course, off to the kitchen I went to get her one!). They learn who the food comes from, and how to ask for it fast! :0)

My pigs knonw the sound of me biting into an apple. Whenever they hear that, they go absolutely crazy! They also know at around 4 o'clock is when they get their snacks so whenever I pass the cage at that time they go bananas. They are a lot smarter than you'd think!

Crinkly plastic bags really get my pigs going! Also, sometimes if I just say "piggy piggies!" they'll start wheeking. Gotta love it!

My fridge door gets my girls going. Sometimes my fiance opens the fridge door purely to mess with them and get the wheeking going. Of course, I give them a little sometime to make up for it. My fiance is a brat.lol

My piggie room is a separate entrance than my apartment, and when they hear my feet crunching across the gravel on the way to their dorr you can hear the choris of wheeks resound from the room! LOL They do learn routines, for sure!

Veggie time the piggies wheek. When I get up and they can see me they wheek. Plastic/paper bag they wheek. Mu just likes to wheek if I walk in my room or turn over in the bed (sometimes) hears people making food anytime.

Krysanthemum said:
My fridge door gets my girls going. Sometimes my fiance opens the fridge door purely to mess with them and get the wheeking going. Of course, I give them a little sometime to make up for it. My fiance is a brat.lol

My fiance is the same way! He's like "here, let's crinkle this bag so they'll wheek" and I think that's mean so I have to go give them a treat.

But she stopped as soon as I got in the room and hid from me?!
voodoojoint said:
Most likely she heard you come home and was greeting you/begging for veggies. Get used to it. Once they figure out the sounds of the refridgerator, coming home from work, daily routine in general they learn when to beg for food.

If she was really feeling ill she wouldn't be making that much noise. She would probably try to stay quiet so as not to let a predator know where she was.

I wish I could remember what I was doing before she started wheeking:crazy:

melodypig said:
But she stopped as soon as I got in the room and hid from me?!
It's a love/hate thing at the moment. You are still a potential big bad predator but one that brings her good things to eat. She's confused.

Soon she'll probably start wheeking and running around and coming to the side of the cage to beg for treats when you get home.

It's just her prey instinct kicking in when you walked in the room. Give her time and lots of patience and one of these days she won't run anymore.

Boy oh boy do I ever look forward to that.

Hehe! My Lottie pig wheeks the loudest of all my pigs. I have a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs, and if anyone does so much as lean on it (or heaven forbid, open it) Lottie's off shouting for 5 minutes until someone goes to see her. Jazzie is the same, but she's not quite mastered the connection between the stair gate and dinner time! All I have to do is close my bedroom door to and I have 4 pigs sitting on the bottom level waiting to come out!

I have a rather large list of what sets mine off:

Front door opening
Cupboard door (where hay is stored) opening
Fridge opening
Standing in the area where we prepare veggies
Rustling plastic or paper bags
Standing over their cage
Preparing dinner (regardless of what it is)
Eat salad in the vicinity of the cage

I could go on!

Mine girls wheek when..... ( in chronological order of a 24 hours day)
- Waking up and opening the bedroom door.
- Walk by their cage, and they both clings to the cloroplast to say goodmorning.
- Opening the fridge *** quick, grab ear plugs.***
- Coming home from work, opening the front door, and calls hello.
- Opening the fridge for afternoon snack.
- Opening the fresh hay sack.... accomapnied by popcorn, they know its floortime)
- 11pm. Opening the fridge.

As you can see, they will come to learn and understand the feeding and playing routine, and they will make sure you better remember it too!

*This is Meimei and Beibei telling about their day when I get home from work each day!
Ahhh, the joy of being a piggy mommy!

My pigs are SO loud, I have to sprint to get them their veggies otherwise they just get louder. :expressio
They squeek when someone goes on the stairs, drop something, hears a bag, comes near them, and so much more. I love piggy squeeks though, it's SO cute.

Ha! They do recognize the refridgerator opening. When Piggy had floor time and someone would open the fridge he'd come popcorning and try to hop in the fridge, because he could he could see the vegetable crisper filled with all those veggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.