Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Veggies why wont he eat any fruit & veggies?!

kendalm7

Cavy Slave
my new guinea pig harvey will not eat anything but timothy hay treats (store bought) and his pellets!
i tryed carrots, romanie lettues, bell peppers, baby tomatoes and he wont take anything? he smells it and runs away:/
i had him for 3 days now
thankyou!

No there is nothing wrong. Just like humans, guinea pigs have their own unique personality which makes them who they are. Including what they like and hate eating.

It's good you know what to feed them and what not because that's the first step to it. Don't be confused as most guinea pigs are very picky eaters which is normal.

Plus she must still be getting used to her surroundings and new environment which takes time. She will end up eating them if you keep offering them to her

Many guinea pigs have to be taught to eat their fruits and veggies, so don't despair.

Choose a veggie to start with like green leaf lettuce or green bell peppers. Take the one you choose and chop it up very finely and sprinkle over his pellets. In time he will have eaten enough by accident that he'll get used to the taste, then you can move on to the next food.

Usually pet store treats are junk food and you should throw them out. Even if the package says for guinea pigs you'd still be better off getting rid of them. It's kind of like giving a kid french fries instead of an apple.

Fruits should only be given as once or twice a week treats, as they contain more sugar then veggies. Red and green leaf lettuce, bell peppers, and cilantro are great, every day veggies you can get your piggies used to eating.

Make sure you provide a good grass hay like timothy, bluegrass, orchard, or brome 24/7. Hay is the most important part of your pigs diet.

The above suggestion by Catahoula worked for me. Have had my piggies about a week, and to start with they wouldn't touch veggies. Then tried chopping up small bits and mixing in with their pellets as per advice above - they ate most of the veg, so the next day tried bigger bits, and so on. This has worked for lettuce, pepper (red and yellow) and broccoli so far very well, to the point where I can now leave those items in a separate bowl or on the floor and the girls gobble them up!

@amzybabes - Red and Orange bell peppers are higher in sugar then Yellow and Green, so try not to feed these too often. But on a positive note - 1/4 Red bell pepper has an entire days worth of Vitamin C.

Also be careful with the broccoli. It can cause a gassy, uncomfortable piggy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.