Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Why my guinea pig don't eat green pepper? Is she a guinea pig?

blurboi

Cavy Slave
I need help, I bought a guinea pig from local petshop, she is a palm size and hamster lookalike. I try to feed green pepper, but after smelling she turns away. Is she a guinea pig?

Attachments

398498_10150547067087327_676727326_9548696_1878455760_n.jpg
She looks like a guinea pig. She may just not be use to getting fresh greens. Try leaving some in her cage for awhile and see what she does. She may try it when you are not around. Also try red or green lettuce she may like that better.

She's a guinea pig, and a cute one at that!

She probably has never had vegetables before. Try cutting a little green pepper very fine and putting it on top of her pellets. Do that a couple of times a day every day for a week. She'll get enough of it by accident to get used to the taste, and then you can feed pepper in larger pieces and start on something else.

If she'll eat lettuce, you can cut the pepper in long thin strips and roll them in a bit of lettuce, then hand feed them to her.

My guinea pig is pretty picky too. All of my new pigs were not used to vegetables other than carrots, and it took them about a week to catch on to the new food I was giving them. Give her some time, she'll be fine!

She's a guinea pig. My guinea pigs didn't know how to eat vegetables at first either, they had never seen them before! The only thing they would eat at first was lettuce, and then cilantro. Then they figured out carrots. Green pepper took them awhile to actually want to eat; it still seems like they don't like it that much, compared to lettuce.

Welcome to the forum!

I will try to answer your question first. Not all guinea pigs will like green peppers at first but you can try tricking yours into eating by cutting the pepper up into very small pieces and mixing it in with the vegetables that she does like. After eating it this way a few times, hopefully she will realize that the pepper isn't so bad after all and will be more willing to eat it in the future. And yes, she is a guinea pig!!

I don't want to scare you off, but there are some general suggestions that I would make. The fact that you are on this website and have done research into nutrition and what vegetables your guinea pig should eat shows that you really do care about her and want to give her the best possible care! The people on this forum are incredibly knowledgeable about piggies and you can learn a lot from reading the posts here (I know I have!).

I would suggest getting yours a companion, as guinea pigs are social animals and really do not do their best when they are alone. If you chose to do this, please adopt! One good place to start looking would be on Petfinder. Also, it seems that you have her housed in a pet store cage. While that may seem like an adequate amount of space now when she is so small, you should really look into upgrading into a bigger C&C cage. You can look through the photo galleries and get some really great ideas, and find out how to make a basic one following the directions on this link How to Make a C&C CageLastly, I couldn't really see what kind of pellets you had in your picture, but you should check to make sure that it doesn't have any seeds or other bits mixed in, as cavy's can choke on them. Generally, the best quality pellets that can be found in pet stores are made by Oxbow. Guinea pigs purchased from pet stores often have medical issues, a common one being parasites such as mites or lice. Given her background, you should probably take your piggy to see an exotics vet, just to be on the safe side.

I hope I don't sound mean or too harsh - I really don't want you to be offended or scared away. It is clear that you want to take good care of your piggy, and you have definitely come to the right place to learn how!

By the way, she is adorable. What's her name?

Last edited:
hi @blurboi, welcome to the forum! Your piggy is adorable! Our first piggy was very small when we got her, fit right in the palm of our hand (she was dumped in the woods). It took us awhile to get her used to any veggies and even then her tastes seemed to change daily. She loved oranges at first, then couldn't stand them for a couple of months, and loved them again. She was offended when we first offered her cilantro and now she practically inhales it.

We gave her Vitamin C solution (from the vet) and still do because of her being kind of a pain in the bum about veggies. We use a syringe and give it to her straight, so we know she's getting her vitamin C.

She stuck her nose up at Oxbow pellets for a few days when we were switching her from the kaytee stuff, so we mixed it and now she's okay about the pellets. She loves her hay, though.

The more floor time we gave her and the more she burned off her energy, the more she wanted to eat, too.

Thank you for sharing your piggy with us and for asking the right questions, and being honest about your uncertainty. Sometimes the conversations can get a little animated or intense, but please stay with the forum. I learn new things every day, and people really want what's best for the piggies.

Hi ech90, thanks for the advices. Her name is Fluffy. I am intending to get her one companion soon, this weekend I will be building her new home. I am designing the layout now. I am afraid that she don't have enough Vit C. Will try feeding her lettuce later.

Thanks everyone for quick replies. I have learned something new today. Will try the methods you guys given. I am proud of my piggy, by the way her name is Fluffy.:eek:

Fluffy is adorable. Thank you for coming to this site to get your information. There's really no place better for ideas, help and support for guinea pigs!

One of my pigs didn't touch green pepper the first 5 times I offered it to her but then finally gave in when she realized I was going to win! Now she'll eat that before the occasional fruit treat. Cilantro is good too. Good luck. She's still a baby so I wouldn't be too worried just yet. She is awfully cute!

Let us know if you can get Fluffy to eat the peppers. I think my favorite part of how cute she is is the little white ruff on the top of her head!

Will let you all know when she eat the green pepper. Currently she is eating cucumber. The next hard thing is to tame it, right now she still hide from me when I am near.

Just to add - I see you have VitaCraft treats. Return those. They are junk and not good for your piggie.

Ok. Actually I don't like it either. Inside has a mixture of nuts, seeds, dried fruits and pellets. Shall I buy all pellet foods? Any brand to intro?

Where are you, blurboi? Nearest city, not your address.

Oxbow Cavy Performance pellets, or Kleenmama alfalfa pellets are recommended for young guinea pigs up to about six months of age, but can be fed longer than that if necessary. KM pellets are only available in the US, but Oxbow has international distribution. Kaytee pellets aren't nearly as good quality as the other two, but the plain ones will do if you can't find Oxbow or KM.

Fresh veggie and herb treats are better for your pig than anything you can buy in a store. Try her on cilantro and dill -- mine think those are the greatest things going. Well, except for melon rind, maybe.

is cilantro same as parsley? i get a pair of gp last monday and i provide them a vege platter with ( cucumber parsley carrot and green pepper) apparently they only eat carrot. will try more often., i will post their pic soon to seek for advice soon. thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.