Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hiding Why is it....?

• Thread starter Field-of-Dreams
  • Start date

Field-of-Dreams

Cavy Slave
When my piggies are in their cages they run when I walk by. Yet, when I take out all the hidies to change fleece they are fine and sometimes a PITA because they won't move when I need to put the fleece down and smooth it out! :D

Last night it was like bumper cars- put down the fleece on the left side of the cage, then push the girls over onto the new fleece and finish the right side. And the weren't frozen- they just didn't want to move! Even scaredy Ivy was just sitting or rumbling about...

However, I DID get lots of scritches and pets in, since they weren't fleeing in terror! :p

Silly girls...

Sometimes when they freeze like that it's because they're scared. But I know what you mean. I have the same problem when I change the girls cage out. Sometimes they act all terrified, and other times they're all bold and brassy. :)

I guess it all depends on their mood. Borat and Amy always come out when we come in the room. Sometimes they hide if they think I'm going to catch them for floor time or lap time, but sometimes they just sit there and even hang out for lots of petting. I hand feed them treats, so they often figure a goodie might be involved if they stay out and accept my hands. They're not at all afraid when I'm spot cleaning and get underfoot as much as possible during that process. Amy loves to popcorn as I sprinkle around the new bedding.

I didn't realize that they know who strangers are since it's usually just my husband and I handling them. But today my neighbor came over, and they were on their kitchen shelves eating their morning salad when she came in. They didn't flee in terror, but they both gave her an odd look and jumped down, then peeked up till they decided she was okay. They definitely knew she was an unfamiliar person.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.