Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Why is adopting from pet stores bad?

TheBlackSwann

Cavy Slave
This question might sound dumb but I'm new to this so I don't want to offend anyone or anything, but I don't understand why pet stores are bad.

People say that pet stores take guinea pigs from breeders and from people who accidentally breed but don't rescue guinea pigs come from there too and the bad puppy mills that they rescue pets from? Also, if someone buys a guinea pig from a pet store but they can't keep it they sometimes bring it to rescues right? And isn't is good to adopt a guinea pig from the bad pet store conditions that they live in?

Please don't take this the wrong way like I'm defending pet stores because I know this is a pro rescue site I honestly dont know why pet shops are bad. Any responses will be appreciated!

tjanson280

Cavy Slave
I think the pet stores are the same as puppy mills. All 7 of mine came from pet stores as well. When you purchase one they replace it but of course they would. I live by this rule....guinea pigs are for life the same as for dogs. My 5 dogs will live with me for life as well

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Lots of pet stores keep males and females together and you could end up with a pregnant piggie. I have a sister who thought she bought 2 girls and found out it was a boy and a girl. Her little piggie got pregnant. pregnancy in guinea pigs is so hard and you could end up lossing your special new family members or adding these new little lives that your not ready for. Even worse is if the mom dies and your left with babies that you have to hand feed (I adopted to pups that lost their mom and it was alot of hard work).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@TheBlackSwann, pet store pigs are bred and raised in horrible conditions. They come to the pet stores with parasites, often sick, missexed, and the sows are often pregnant. No attempt is made take any care with breeding them, so they're often inbred.

The companies that supply them have horrible reputations. See www.petsmartcruelty.com, and remember that Rainbow Exotics is still in business. See https://www.thedodo.com/petco-petsma...563393540.html. The images in both of those are very graphic. Also see https://www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm.

pinky

Cavy Slave
There are approximately 900 guinea pigs listed on Petfinder at any time. That doesn't include the numbers listed on Craigslist, at shelters or euthanized. Pet stores don't adopt out guinea pigs. They breed and sell them for profit, with little concern for their well being.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
You may think youre 'saving' a pig from bad pet store conditions, but to be honest, that pig should never have been born if the mill where it came from didnt exist. Of course, the world isnt perfect and there will always be irresponsible people breeding cavies for profit and nothing more. Many of those pet store pigs end up in rescues because of uneducated people purchasing them and realizing how much work they are, or their kids get bored or something. There are so many pigs in shelters. Yes, most of them came from pet stores originally, but you adopting one doesnt give the mills their profit. When you buy from a pet store directly, they get that much more money, and they just replace the pig you bought with another poorly raised one. I was uneducated when i purchased my pigs from petsmart, but i know better now. Im working on adopting a third pig from a hoarding situation. My local humane society rescued several dozen pigs from one awful hoarder, and they are all in fosters being well taken care of, and soon will be available for adoption. Im super excited to do my part and rescue one. :) those pigs in rescues are so much more deserving of a home.

This doesnt go to say i dont love my pet store pigs. In fact i love them with all my heart and i spoil them rotten. I wouldnt trade them for anything. But i was lucky that they both were given a clean bill of health from my vet, and i wont purchase anymore. Its rescues from here on out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.