Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Why Fleece??

Preciouspickle

Cavy Slave
Hi there, We are a family of 3 Piggies, Lucy the Matriarch and her two new youthlings, Precious & Pickle.

Just stumbled across your forum when searching for ideas to make a new cage for these little guys. There are some nifty ideas - but a question has arisen from them.... Why do so many of you use fleece to line the cages? How often would you have to wash them out? What is the routine? At the moment we are useing bags of compressed hemp but this gets quite expensive, especially as now we have quite a large space for them to play in.

Thanks in advance,
mum to P, P & L

Welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here as much as I do. There's a lot of great info here. Make sure to check out the photos link at the top for cage ideas. There are so many creative people making cages, sometimes it's hard to pick a favorite one.

this gets quite expensive

That's the whole reason for using fleece. Once you get the pigs in an appropriate size cage, the bedding gets too expensive. Fleece is washable, and I've been amazed at how well it washes up. It looks brand new when it's washed, and people have had the same liners for over a year. You take the fleece, wash it in hot water on a long cycle, then dry it at a high temp-3 times. This makes it shrink as much as it's going to, and strips any chemicals off of it. Don't use dryer sheets or fabric softener. I put 2 layers of Uhaul pad (U-Haul: Moving supplies: Furniture Pad - this is recycled denim, just make sure you get the right item. It's $7.95) under that, then the fleece wicks moisture (RE:urine) down to the Uhaul pads, and away from the pigs. It lasts a week, then I take it out of the cage, take it outside, shake it, and use a scrub brush to brush off any remaining hair or poo, and toss it in the washer. I have a second set that I put in the cage while I'm washing the first set. You only have to wash it 3 times the first time you have it, after that just wash it once. I use vinegar in the rinse cycle to pull any extra soap out, and to eliminate smells and static. I do find having a "kitchen"-an area that is boxed off with coroplast for food, hay, and water helps a lot. The do most of their pee and poo there, and I have carefreash in that small area. It helps the fleece to last a week between changes. Many people make "liners" where the fleece is on top, then the uhaul pads (or you can use old towels) then a bottom layer of material (fleece or whatever you have around), sew it all together into one piece. It's easier to change the cage out without re-layering all the pieces as long as you aren't going to re-arrange your cage shape. If you don't sew, you can buy them already made on Etsy (guinea pig cage liners on Etsy, a global handmade and vintage marketplace.).

The only problem is that fleece is addictive to the owner, and you'll find yourself searching out new fleece patterns and sales all the time, LOL.:D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.