Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Why does she dig in her bedding?

kirsty91

Cavy Slave
I recently changed most of my guineas cage to fleece with a small part of wood pellets. Also I cut back a little on her pellets as she has started to get a bit chunky. I'm not sure what change has caused it or why she does it but she literally digs and sifts around in the wood pellets like she is looking for something. I'm not sure why or how to stop it, she flings her poop and the bedding out of the cage lol

Mine usually digs when she is frustrated with me or her babies chasing her around. She also digs all the bedding out of her house to sleep directly on the coroplast, I think maybe she likes how cool the temperature is compared to the bedding.
I've never used wood pellets before, its possible your pig might mistake them for food pellets and dig through looking for tasty ones.

on occasion I will see her sitting on the coroplast but not always, she is usually on the fleece. No she has always had wood pellets but this is something new.

Guinea pigs are natural tunnel digging animals. fleece does not look/feel like ground, but wood pellets may feel like soft ground to them, so they want to dig tunnels.

I just think it is odd that she started this all of a sudden. She has always had the pellet bedding, I just recently made it a smaller area and put fleece down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.