Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Why does it matter where your piggie comes from

Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureGuineaVet

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I've been reading a lot of post some old and some new, people are arguing about how you should get your pigs at shelters and how pigs at pet stores are bad news. I'm not arguing I just want to point out that it doesn't matter, wheather there from a shelter, rescue, or pet store technically all the pigs are homeless. My cinnamon's from a pet store and she's a healthy happy piggy. People put others down saying you should be ashamed getting one from a pet store. Well, I'm not because she is my first pet and I'm waking up every morning knowing I have a pet that loves me and that I love in return.all piggies came from a pet store at some point unless they were bred. So don't argue just be glad that you have the privilege to even own this amazing creature god put on this earth, and that you gave them a good home from where they previously were. I consider pet stores rescues as well. Don't be jerks, just get along.

By buying from a pet store you are promoting the breeding of more pigs, which causes more pigs to die and become homeless. When getting a pig from a rescue, you are helping a pig that would otherwise not have a home. By buying from a pet store, you are giving your money to the people who breed pigs, ergo you are letting them breed more. By getting a pig from a rescue you are not promoting the bad treatment of animals, and breeding. By buying from pet smart, you are opening up a spot for a new pig to be breed and be shoved in that glass case. There is everything wrong with it, and nothing ​right or fair about it.

This topic has been handled many many times. Rather than us rehashing the same evidence about why petstores are bad. You might want to just do a forum search on the topic.

Also, piggies from pet stores may come with health problems or injuries. They are not always properly cared for, and too many people handle them and may drop them. For me that was a reason to take mine home from the pet store (I tend to take in the bruised and broken), but it is still something to consider.

I understand what your both saying, I'm only 16 so I'm just wondering. It's....I know people breed just to put them in the pet store and some don't. Also some do it at home without stores like dog and cat breeders. I don't promote anything to harm animals at all, I volunteer like most people and I want to be a vet so I can save animals lives. I just don't understand why people are at people's throats about this. Also I'd be happy to get a pig at a shelter but I can't drive yet and my moms not going to be willing to drive three hours just for me to get another guinea pig. does my getting a guinea pig at a store make my a bad person, an honest question I'm not being sassy I swear.

This topic has been handled many many times. Rather than us rehashing the same evidence about why petstores are bad. You might want to just do a forum search on the topic.

Since she stated that she has read posts on it, I think this may be a matter of her defending her decision. I was like this at first as well. I felt guilty about where I got them and decided to be argumentative rather than sensible. :p

@FutureGuineaVet You know the reason why we don't condone petstore purchases. It gives breeders the financial means to keep breading. The mother pigs supplying babies to stores are bred to exhaustion, some pet stores they dump the babies at are poorly maintained, and pet stores sell indiscriminately to people poorly equipped to care for these animals. Buying helps maintain the unfortunate cycle.

A lot of people here started off with buying pigs, became educated, and then chose to adopt thereafter. You can also make that choice and learn from a mistake.

No, it doesn't make you a bad person. My guinea pigs are also from a pet store. I didn't know a lot about guinea pig adoption at the time. I love my piggies to pieces, but next time I will adopt. You are not a bad person, but next time you can adopt instead of buying them at the pet store. :)

I understand what your both saying, I'm only 16 so I'm just wondering. It's....I know people breed just to put them in the pet store and some don't. Also some do it at home without stores like dog and cat breeders. I don't promote anything to harm animals at all, I volunteer like most people and I want to be a vet so I can save animals lives. I just don't understand why people are at people's throats about this. Also I'd be happy to get a pig at a shelter but I can't drive yet and my moms not going to be willing to drive three hours just for me to get another guinea pig. does my getting a guinea pig at a store make my a bad person, an honest question I'm not being sassy I swear.

If you knew it was wrong and hurts animals, honestly yes in my opinion. However I don't think you knew. You don't have to have your mom drive you "Three hours just to get a guinea pig" I bet we could find one closer, there are even pigs to adopt from craigslist, I live in the middle of no where and can find pigs five minuets away to adopt.

@FutureGuineaVet , calling people jerks in your sixth post on the forum when you've just had your first guinea pig a short while isn't a very good way to make a good impression on the other forum members.

There are many threads on this forum about the reasons for not buying from pet shops -- use the search function above and find one for all the details. There have been at least a half dozen since Christmas. You'll find them in The Cafe.

Also, read PetSmart Cruelty if you really want to know why we don't advocate buying from pet stores.

And now, this thread is closed.

Last edited:
I won't get on anymore

My previous thread was simply my wanting current information on the Pet store matter. Everyone made me feel like my going there is wrong, I can only do so much. I just wanted simply answers but I got rude ones. Thanks for literally making me cry , you won't have to hear from me again because I won't get on. I just want advice and answers ad everyone basically stated that I'm a bad person for doing so, just because I see things differently Thank You for your time you won't hear frome me ever again

Re: I won't get on anymore

I'm not a bad person either I'm a 16 year old girl not a 30 year old ANIMAL HATER!!!!

It's a shame

It's a shame that anyone who expresses a different point of view than the majority here is made to feel so bad they don't want to come back. So much for making newcomers feel welcome. Whatever happened to freedom of speech. I think it's appalling that a mod would just down a thread just because they don't like the topic.

I'm only a year away from you at 15, I don't see how that relates to hating or loving guinea pigs. I do wish that you will stay on this forum though it's a great place where you can learn a lot.

Re: It's a shame

When asking questions, we answer. The person who made the topic wanted to know what was wrong with pet stores, we told her. That's it. No one tried to make her feel bad, or gang up on her or any thing, we simply answered her question, and even tried to console her and explain that we men't no harm after she got upset.

She was expressing her opinion, and I would say that people did gang up on her to some degree. I do agree that pet stores are bad, but not everyone can get to a rescue. I was going to get pet store pigs, but then I found a rescue near me after searching for a long time. I adopted. Pet stores are horrendous, but not a lot of people under stand that. Even people I talk to outside this form don't understand why I discourage pet stores so much.

I think FutureGuineaVet said in her biography that she is 16 yrs old. She cares about animals! Maybe I'm wrong, but I too think some people on this site could be a little more sensitive. I have read a lot of threads on here in the past year, but only joined recently. If you don't agree with everything 100% on this site, then you better not be easily offended or in any way sensitive. I love animals too and I support adoption! But people matter!!! Yes, take excellent care of your pigs, but don't put an animal on a pedestal like it's above all else. Help homeless pets if you can! They need good homes. Breeding is very rarely a good thing and 90+% of breeders out there (of dogs & cats too) are irresponsible. But, ... How many 16 year olds research & join a guinea pig forum in an effort to take good care a pet? Instead of finding encouragement, she now feels she has to leave.. Sad.., I am not looking for a fight. I'm just asking for people to remember God made guinea pigs and people. He desires us to love and respect all creatures, both human and animal. Young people need positive encouragement.

Many of the members on this site are young also, or just not good at expressing themselves in a polite way. Especially if it is something they feel strongly about. Don't let them make you cry.

If I was allowed to get a pet when I was 16, I probably would have gone to a pet store too. Even knowing many of them treat animals poorly. It was only after several years of researching forums and other sites that I started to feel selfish. What made me feel worse was when I started watching the "small & furry" section of Petfinder and realized that even where I live guinea pigs are sometimes in the shelter. I don't doubt that you are a good person, but sometimes wanting something very much can make you feel like something (like buying at a pet store) is not harmful when it is.

Oh by the time my reply posted on my phone, you already said on thread you are 16. :) Please stay on forum, focus on the positive care, health, & nutrition info and just try to let it roll off your back.

Yes that's true, however she said she did understand when she got her pig from a pet store that it was bad, and in my opinion it's better to just not get pigs, than to encourage breeding and the bad treatment of animals by buying one from a pet store.

I completely agree with that. It isn't fair to the piggies. Everytime I go into a pet store and look at the pigs it breaks my heart completely. I feel so bad for them, knowing what they've been through, and what they will go through. Today while I was upgrading my pigs cage I had them in a little 1x2 pen because that's all the grids I have left ( I built them a 2x7) and the whole time they kept looking at me, like, Hey mom? What is this! We can barely move. I explained to them that many piggies live their entires lives in things even smaller. We had a discussion.
Breeders make me almost as mad as people microwaving animals :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.