Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet white spots on bedding-too much calcium? can help advise please

robbo

Cavy Slave
Hi

I am new to having guinea pigs (2 boars),done quite alot of research but think i may have the diet wrong? I have noticed white spots on the bedding and from research there are conflicting explanations? some say normal and other saying it is too much calcium in their diet and could lead to bladder sludge/baldder stones :-( Is this correct? i have felt the white spots and some are smooth and others gritty. I am now unsure what to feed them? they have unlimited hay, half cup pellets between them, and then 1 small cup veg each every evening, what veg can i give them everyday tho or is it a mix and match?? could you post your veg diets as examples for me please ;-) i have looked on the guinea lynx but its a bit confusing for a newbie! Thank you!!

Excess calcium in the urine is definitely implicated in urinary tract stones, but it's not the only factor. But since pigs don't seem to form stones if they don't excrete calcium in the urine, it seems like only good sense to me to try to prevent it.

If you're feeding romaine (cos) lettuce, I'd change that to something else -- red or green leaf lettuce. And you need to look for a low-calcium pellet, but I'm not sure what's available to you in the UK. Avoid parsley, spinach, kale, and other dark leafy greens.

A good many people in England used filtered water because of the high limestone content in much of the water. You can get an attachments for your faucet or a pitcher with a filter that will take much of the calcium out of the water.

My two pigs get one or two lettuce leaves a day, two slices of tomato, two small chunks of carrot, 1/4 to 1/3 of a bell pepper, depending on size, and corn husks and silks whenever I can get them. I also try to keep dill and cilantro around. Other than that, it's whatever I've got in the refrigerator -- green beans, zucchini, celery, summer squash, etc. Here's a link to another vegetable chart that will tell you what you can feed and how often: https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on with it.

Thanks alot for the advice :) will try your advice and let you know how i get on! not thought about the water will defo look at investing in a filter! is bottled water ok?
Thanks again

forgot to ask do you give your piggies that amount each?

No, those amounts are for two pigs.

Hmm...I've been researching this same thing. I do not feed romaine lettuce, I even cut out the small amount of parsley, I do not feed oxbow pellets and I use filtered water in their bowls and I still have some white spots on our bedding. Is it possible that alfalfa pellets have more calcium than adult pellets (they are only 4/5 months). Also, is it possible that by rinsing my veggies with tap water, they're ingesting too much calcium from the water left on the veggies?

@SeeSpotSit, no to the calcium in the water on the veggies, yes to the alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa is given to young pigs because it does have more calcium.

How many pellets are you feeding, and what brand?

@bpatters - Because they're only 4 & 5 months old, I feed unlimited alfalfa pellets from KMS. I say unlimited because that's what I read to do, but they really only eat about 1/4 cup each per day. Maybe I should order some adult pellets from there and give them a mix a bit earlier than suggested?

@bpatters - Because they're only 4 & 5 months old, I feed unlimited alfalfa pellets from KMS.
Are you just now seeing the spots or have they always been there? I also have young ones eating alfalfa based pellets. I have seen white spots on & off since the beginning. However, just recently I have found grainy white spots. Wonder if it takes awhile for it to build up??

Are you just now seeing the spots or have they always been there? I also have young ones eating alfalfa based pellets. I have seen white spots on & off since the beginning. However, just recently I have found grainy white spots. Wonder if it takes awhile for it to build up??

I found them off and on and just more often lately. I'm going to order adult pellets and mix them in, gradually getting them off the Alfalfa pellets. I figure by the time the mix is done, they'll be 6 months :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.