Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Whistles' New Cage!!!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
This is an in progress/finishing on Whistles' new C&C Cage. I found the grids at Bed Bath and Beyond for 19.99 and used my 20% coupon.
It is a 2X4 that will have a 2nd store for eating/potting xD
His "litter box" is 29.5" INSIDE O.O

Here are photos and a video of the sturdiness: Sorry for any low quality photos
[GuineaPigCages.com] Whistles' New Cage!!!
Whistles' watching momma build his new cage
Cage with stand
Cage with 2nd story (i need husband to help make the ramps/the towels are there for testing)
Kitty is my 1st test subject
Now it is Whistles' turn

It is Kitty and Piggy approved!!!

[video=youtube_share;ynbJw0_nDB0]
I had to shake the cage with SOME muscle in order to make it shaky. Just some, not a lot.

Coroplast is on its way!!!:D
I again would like to apologize what happened in the previous thread and thank you for all the help ya'll have provided thus far. ❤️
I also need to find a way to support the underside of Whistles' 2nd story:?:

Can't wait to see how it looks with the coroplast and ramp, etc. Mr. Whistles is gonna be one happy piggie. He sure is a handsome fellow.

Can't wait to see how it looks with the coroplast and ramp, etc. Mr. Whistles is gonna be one happy piggie. He sure is a handsome fellow.

TYVM
Hubs wants in on the decorating and we're getting hunter orange coroplast xD

What about fleece?

What about fleece?

I'll have to buy fleece sometime later. We already had bought a huge bag of shavings maybe 2-3 months ago. I didn't think I'd be able to buy the new cage supplies so soon.(hubs got a $1k bonus) When everything is finished we'll be using up the rest of the shavings then buying the fleece, uhaul pads and towels.

Nice. Grats on the bonus. I went through shavings like crazy with my C&C, you will go through the bag in no time.

Nice. Grats on the bonus. I went through shavings like crazy with my C&C, you will go through the bag in no time.

TYVM
I probly will xD
This cage is over twice the size of his "litter box"

I'm looking through the photos of everyone's lofts on here and it seems like 1X2 and some 2X2 lofts don't need any support....would the coroplast solve the issue?

I don't think the loft needs reinforcement. He's only 2 lbs, after all. The coroplast will help the cage stay square, and feel more sturdy. I think it looks great! There's looks like a lot of storage underneath. I'm so glad you found the cubes at BB&B to be cheaper. Have you called local sign stores for the coroplast? It might take a couple days to have a special order color come in. Also, I just bought fleece at Hancock Fabric, on line, for $3.99/yd. (broken link removed)
Although it's not my favorite pattern, it'll do. You might like it, since it has horseshoes on it! I'm working on my bunnies bedding right now. I can't wait for my material to arrive, and I'm so excited for your new cage! YAY!

Yes, there is probably a need for stability in the stand. There is always some give with a stand of grids but what you have there makes me a little nervous.

I don't think the loft needs reinforcement. He's only 2 lbs, after all. The coroplast will help the cage stay square, and feel more sturdy. I think it looks great! There's looks like a lot of storage underneath. I'm so glad you found the cubes at BB&B to be cheaper. Have you called local sign stores for the coroplast? It might take a couple days to have a special order color come in. Also, I just bought fleece at Hancock Fabric, on line, for $3.99/yd. (broken link removed)
Although it's not my favorite pattern, it'll do. You might like it, since it has horseshoes on it! I'm working on my bunnies bedding right now. I can't wait for my material to arrive, and I'm so excited for your new cage! YAY!

TYVM
The closest Handcock to me is either in CoCoa Beach or Lakeland. Those are both atleast 30min drive and that's if I speed xD
As far as getting coroplast from the sign stores, I called every single sign store near me and they all say "we don't sell blank coroplast" or they give me a quote of $80 and above o_O
I'm not sure why their charging so much. I've even found a few sign stores that some of the users here have purchased from in their area, called them and they still gave me the same responses. I've even told them that it is for a guinea pig cage and no dice :'(

Yes, there is probably a need for stability in the stand. There is always some give with a stand of grids but what you have there makes me a little nervous.

I can give it a light nudge and it doesn't move at all. But I give a harder push and I get the results in the video.

Why, you lucky duck! That's some bonus! I would be setting a little of that aside into a vet fund. :D

I hope you find your coroplast soon! I wouldn't pay $80, with some people finding coro between $15 and $40. I, personally, found coroplast (4'x8' sheets) for $11! Good luck getting every thing you need for your cage. Loving it so far.

Why, you lucky duck! That's some bonus! I would be setting a little of that aside into a vet fund. :D

I hope you find your coroplast soon! I wouldn't pay $80, with some people finding coro between $15 and $40. I, personally, found coroplast (4'x8' sheets) for $11! Good luck getting every thing you need for your cage. Loving it so far.

Yup! We were able to set aside $400 into the vet account. I wanted so bad to buy my 75 gallon aquarium full hood. but I decided to put that $175 into the vet savings.

Yeah I'm kind of surprised that everyone around me is pricing their coroplast so high. I tried my hardest to find more stores near me. No dice :,(
Whistles' first fleece set will be camo. It'll be hard to find him xD

Whistles is ADORABLE! And Kitty is cute too :)

I just noticed what heading this thread is under. (I've been reaching it through the recently posted list at the top of the main forum.) I would have posted this under About Cages, I think. Just a thought. :)

I was thinking there were Floridians here who could answer your question about where to get coroplast. Thanks @spy9doc for responding.

If you tell us where you live, we might be able to help you find Coroplast. Remember that Coroplast is just a trade name. The "generic" is to ask for corrugated plastic.

Many outdoor elections signs are made of coroplast. Make friends at the local campaign headquarters and they might give you used signs or left-over pieces.....especially if you volunteer to stuff envelopes for them.

I am away it is called corrugated plastic. I just use coroplast because it is less to type ;)
I've used the coroplast sources on here. Which gave me FedEx Kinkos and they gave me a quote of over $100 o_O
I've done google searches on different kinds of shops and warehouses. I've driven down several streets and even gotten lost in the process. Notta :,(

TYVM for the offer to help tho.

Whistles' got to test out the ramp/upstairs today. I tried to get husband to bend the grids but he slightly broke 1 of the grids.
I'm thinking about trying to bend 1 in an L shape. Whistles' ran along the wall up the ramp, but I don't want to risk him hurting himself.

There are PIGGY APPROVED!

You can also feel a little seem on a middle edge square, like here:
You don't want to bend at the seem, but rather bend at the other sides. The seem is what snaps pretty easy.

[and sorry for the terrible job with Paint.]

It's all too easy to break the grids when bending them. You can try what I did with heating them in an oven. I laid the grids on a cookie sheet and put them in a 250 degree oven for about 30 minutes and then was able to bend them without breaking.

Remember us telling you about looking up Sabic Polymershapes locations for coroplast? You know, the 4'x8' sheets for $11? Here are all the Florida locations:

TYVM
That is ONE store I could not remember for the life of me. Presidents Drive sounds VERY close to me.
**begins to google map**

ETA: wow that is 20 mins from me. But even add in the $10-$15 of gas it still is cheaper than getting my coroplast from the forums.

Last edited:
You can also feel a little seem on a middle edge square, like here:
View attachment 26556
You don't want to bend at the seem, but rather bend at the other sides. The seem is what snaps pretty easy.

[and sorry for the terrible job with Paint.]

That is the exact spot hubs broke the grid.
The oven is a great idea. I shall give that one a try :cheerful:
I have laminate flooring. The hot grids won't melt or damage the flooring will it?

YES!!!
I am victorious!!!!
"Cooking" the grids at 250 for 35 mins worked out great.
The unsuccessful grid will be used as a fleece forest grid. This is the one that husband slightly broke, so I expected it to break even further.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.