Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Which Pet Stores to Support?

skoolmarm

Cavy Slave
With all the information available to us about the major pet store chains inhumane practices, which pet stores should we be supporting? I am a fairly new piggy momma, so I would like to be confident about where I purchase my piggy supplies.

*Luckily, I live near many farms and farm suppliers, so I am able to get some things from there, but there are other things that I need/want to buy at an animal-friendly store.

I live in Northwest Indiana- very close to Chicago.

Thanks for your help!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Stores that sell live animals, large or small, shouldn't be supported, because doing so only helps to perpetuate a cycle of cruelty and abuse.

skoolmarm

Cavy Slave
That's the problem though. If that's the case, I don't know of any pet stores that do not sell any animals in my area. Even my local, non-chain store sells fish, turtles, and small critters. I was hoping somebody had ideas though.

PiggiePaws

Cavy Slave
As Paula said, just avoid the stores that sell live animals - of any kind. Call around and ask your local pet stores if they sell animals or not. Good luck finding a place!

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
Where there are petstores, there are definitely bound to be some rescues. Or you can even check on Craigslist - I have found that a bunch of piggies, some usually in pairs, need a home there.

skoolmarm

Cavy Slave
I already have my 4 girls-- 2 from a student of mine who could no longer care for them and 2 from a neighbor who plain didn't want them any more, so I'm happy to report that my aren't from any pet store. And I am not looking to get more! LOL-- Also, I get my pellets and hay from a local farmer, so I don't need that either. All I really need is an animal-friendly shop to buy bedding, treats, toys, etc.

PiggiePaws

Cavy Slave
If you PM me your exact location, I'd be happy to search around for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.