Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Which pellets to feed?

littlerae

Cavy Slave
So I have a question. I have One piggy who is going to be 6 months old in June, and I have another piggy who is only 2 months old now. and I am looking into getting one more pig possibly in June.
I was just wondering if I should keep them all on alfalfa based pellets until they are all over 6 months old? Or if I should switch to Oxbow for adult guinea pigs (the timothy based pellets) Once Jayda turns 6 months in June? Would it be bad for the younger girls to have adult pellets? Or would it be worse for my older one to have young guinea pigs pellets? Not sure what to do here! Is there a pellet I can get that is a good compromise for adult and young pigs?
:?::?::?:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! :) Thanks

I use adult pellets for my 2 and 4 month old piggies. I just give them the blue coded veggies on the nutrition chart more often than my seperate adult pigs.

Keeping them on alfalfa pellets until they are both over 6 mths will mean that the 6 mth old will be on alfalfa pellets until he is 10 mnths old - way too old for alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa has a much higher calcium content which can cause stones in adult pigs.

It would be difficult to start feeding vege that is higher in calcium to supplement because the 6 mth old would end up eating it as well.

What you can do is during laptime when you have them out separately, offer the higher calcium vege to the younger.

ok!! Good idea. Thank you so much for your help! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.