Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Brands Which Hay and Pellets Should I Get?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello there,

I have been feeding my pigs "Encore Vitamin Fortified Premium Guinea Pig Food" But looking at the ingredients, it doesn't seem too good for them at all, but we looked through Walmart, pet stores, and the local feed store and the only other "guinea pig foods" they had were just bags of nuts, which I know is not good for piggys. So does anyone know of a better brand of pellets for Phoenix (About 1-year old) and Godric (I think 4 months)? I also feed them "Kaytee" brand hay, but I haven't noticed much talk about this brand, so I'm not sure if it's ok or not, and if not, could someone suggest something better? Also please include where I could buy these foods online, because the pet stores/ feed stores/ and Walmart, only seem to have like one or two brands.

Thanks,
Sara and the pigs

Hands down, the best pellets and hay come from (broken link removed). You can also get Oxbow, but some pigs have sludgy urine problems with Oxbow pellets, and the hay isn't usually nearly as good quality as KMs. You may be able to find cheaper hay at a feed store or farm that supplies horses near you, but it must be long strand grass hay in order to keep their teeth ground down.

Don't balk at the shipping price of the online hays -- you pay shipping for any items you buy anywhere. The shipping costs are just rolled into the price of the item. And they'll still be way cheaper per pound than anything you can buy at Walmart or a pet store.

Another thumbs up for KMS here! We started out with Kaytee hay and Oxbow pellets. The hay was mostly stems and my piggers wasted a lot of it. The Oxbow pellets were good, but since I was ordering hay from KMS, I went ahead and ordered pellets at the same time.

What a difference in the hay! Her bluegrass is gorgeous and my girls eat just about everything instead of pulling it out of the rack and dropping it on the floor. Yesterday I started mixing the new pellets in with the old and both pigs spent a good 15 minutes nosing through their dish to pick out the new stuff.

Pricewise, the hay is more of an investment at the start, but *much* cheaper than Kaytee per pound - especially considering how much is wasted.

A 3rd thumbs up for KMS here

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.