Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Where To Shop

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
I've been looking around, trying to find places that do not promote breeding but sell some of the piggy necessities. (The kind of stuff that no amount of fleece could ever answer the question. Please no crafting sites- that's not what I'm looking for.)

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, here's a sample list

Pigloos
Water Bottles
Vegetable Ball/Kabob
Brush & Comb set
Exercise Pen
Styptic Powder (did I hear you could use corn starch instead? :?:)
Travel Carrier
Shampoo
Nail Trimmer (is it ok to use human trimmers? I've seen mixed messages. :?: I would get a new pair, never to be used by humans.)
Willow balls
Cardboard Tunnels
Fiddlesticks

Thank you in advance for any assistance you are able to render!

Side Note: You think rescues out there somewhere have this type of stuff? That would be a perfect place to shop!

I'd like to find a place that sells those items too. The pet stores I've been to do not have much.

Pet stores are exactly what I would like to avoid, since most of them sell animals- which means there is animal breeding going on. I would go to a pet free pet store, but there are simply none in my area.

I also forgot to mention bowls. Where would you get bowls from? Would glass bowls work or be a bad idea? I'd also be concerned about the decoration on most of them... I was looking at a dollar store, but in hindsight, that might not be the best place to get a food bowl. I know there's other things I can get that would work with piggies, but I'm really not certain about the bowls they had- particularly those that are painted. :?:

Amazon has a lot of guinea pig supplies, as does Drs. Foster & Smith (I think they're online only so you're not supporting live animal sales by ordering there. I'd imagine eBay might be a good source, too, although I've never looked there. I just regular pet bowls (small stainless steel cat bowls) for my piggies, although heavy ceramic is good, too, to prevent them from tipping.

Some of those things you can just get at Walmart or Kmart or maybe even a grocery store, like the water bottle, nail clippers (I just use human ones and they work fine but you might be able to find an animal one at one of those stores). I just use a baby brush for my girls. They are short hair and probably don't need to be brushed but they seem to like it. I think I've seen those willow balls at Walmart too. But some of those things you will likely have to get online.

On Amazon, if you get their items with Super Saving Shipping, it ships for free for orders over 25 dollars. Anything sold by Amazon itself gets that discount. You could knock out half your list by shopping with them and qualify for it.

I do use human clippers, but I have to file down the tips after because the nail is left jagged. I've seen someone trim their nails with actual small animal clippers, and it cut more smoothly.

I forgot who I got this idea from, but you can turn Quaker oatmeal containers into tunnels. Depends on if you eat oatmeal, though. :p

I have gathered many of that stuff from all over but here are some of the links in my bookmarks bar:

Supplies including medical:
(broken link removed)

Shampoo:
(broken link removed)

Supplies - they also have a back supply one of the best water bottle valve systems ever made, the Edstrom Water Buddy (no longer in production)
(broken link removed)

AND Amazon :)

I forgot who I got this idea from, but you can turn Quaker oatmeal containers into tunnels. Depends on if you eat oatmeal, though. :p

That is a good idea. I don't often eat oatmeal myself, I prefer cereal, but my husband eats it like there's no tomorrow! :D

Thanks for sharing your secrets every one! I'll be looking into them soon and creating some new bookmarks, I'm sure! :)

as does Drs. Foster & Smith (I think they're online only so you're not supporting live animal sales by ordering there.

I'll look into it. However, something occurred to me while I was surfing trying to find a good place to buy- before I posted here. I found the ARBA web site, and they're all about breeding. While they may not be selling live animals out right, it makes me realize I want to be careful even of internet buying. If I don't want to support breeding (which I don't, I love rescue!), it doesn't make sense to put money into organizations who do support it. Whether or not they themselves are selling live animals. I want to be a careful customer. :)

Some of those things you can find at Target. Also, we have a few little local pet supplies stores that do not sell animals and actually do support rescue. They sell different odds and ends and a lot of times, will sell certain other products if you ask. Do lots of research and see if you have any in your area!
That being said, the greatest travel carriers can be found at (broken link removed). They are the sturdiest carriers and last a lifetime! They are roomy, soft, and won't collapse inward when you put a seatbelt around them. You can even hook a water bottle onto the side in the metal "grids" and the pigs won't be able to chew through the carriers. You can get them cheaper from Ebay and Amazon as well.

Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products This is also a great place to buy pellets, toys, grooming products, exercise pens, ect.

(broken link removed) You can often find beds, toys, tunnels, or food dishes here.

As far as cardboard tunnels, I wouldn't waste money on them! Use your imagination with the cardboard you have at home. Or, ask your friends/fam to save different boxes and such for the pigs. Most people enjoy doing that, I've noticed! I give my paper bags, oatmeal containers, tissue boxes, and boxes from my husbands work.

You can use human nail clippers unless your pigs have very thick nails. Make sure they are nice and sharp though.

In place of styptic powder, you can use flour. I imagine corn starch would work as well. Just dab a little and it does the job just fine!

Ebay and Amazone are good sources as well. Check out PiggyBedSpreads.com Making Your Guinea Pig's World a Beautiful Place! for some tunnels and cocoons.

My local rescue doesn't sell supplies and such. However, check out the ones in your area. They may even know if there is a great local place for you to shop or a website they can recommend.

I have gathered many of that stuff from all over but here are some of the links in my bookmarks bar:

Supplies including medical:
(broken link removed)

Shampoo:
(broken link removed)

Supplies - they also have a back supply one of the best water bottle valve systems ever made, the Edstrom Water Buddy (no longer in production)
(broken link removed)

AND Amazon :)

Impressive list. I particularly liked This Little Piggie Marketplace.

@Skippie I appreciate the enthusiasm, but those kinds of pet stores don't exist every where. There are only a handful of small animal rescues in my state. There's a good chance that, when I go to adopt, I'll either have to leave state or meet a pet train. I've done the research on pet stores (for products) and rescues. Other members have also done what they could to help me find rescues and the majority of what they found was in Wisconsin or Illinois, not Michiagn. Please believe me when I say there are no pet stores of the appropriate variety (right pet type- most popular here are dogs and cats- and that don't sell animals) in my area. I love the internet and how it not only makes appropriate knowledge available, but products as well. Thanks for sharing your links! :)

@CritterLuvva

I get it. Before I moved here a couple years ago, I was in that same position. The one and only pet store was an hour away and of course, they sold live animals. (and nearly dead animals). I started ordering everything off the internet. Luckily, you can find anything on the internet for our little furry friends without having to give to terrible places. Use something like GoodSearch - Web search, coupons, discounts & deals for charity! as well and you can give back a little! Best of luck to you!

@CritterLuvva

I get it. Before I moved here a couple years ago, I was in that same position. The one and only pet store was an hour away and of course, they sold live animals. (and nearly dead animals). I started ordering everything off the internet. Luckily, you can find anything on the internet for our little furry friends without having to give to terrible places. Use something like GoodSearch - Web search, coupons, discounts & deals for charity! as well and you can give back a little! Best of luck to you!

Even if you don't eat oatmeal, view every box in your household for its potential use as a tunnel or hidey. I have a traditional pigloo and plastic and straw tunnels for Amy and Borat, but I change things up with cereal boxes turned into A-frames, Kleenex boxes attached to their tunnels to connect/extend them, shoe boxes as both tunnels and hideys, and anything else I can think of. They just love finding new toys in their playpen or cages.

@mufasa Actually, I meant that I don't eat oatmeal, but hubby does. And we both love to recycle. I doubt he'd have a problem with my taking the container after he's done with it. I've heard people make A frames out of cereal boxes and sometimes throw a piece of fleece on top. Sorry if I confused you with my extra info! :eek:

I'm on the look out to get as many toys as I can. That's why I don't want to count Pigloos entirely out. I can use those, cardboard/PVC/fleece tunnels, cuddle cups and beds... I even want to mix up the hay racks I use! It's the next best thing to shopping for children! :)

I also second the Gorgeous Guineas soap recommendation. With postage, I paid about 15 bucks for a refill bottle last week. Not bad. I use Posh n' go and I love the way their fur looks, but it does smell a tad like insect repellant. If you're not tolerant of unpleasant smells like that, I'd go for their other scented ones. I think I had a trial of some lemongrass something or other that I liked from them...

I also use (broken link removed) . I have ordered from them and it really did only take 2 days to get here! Shipping is free for orders $49+.

mufasa;632755 I have a traditional pigloo and plastic and straw tunnels for Amy and Borat said:
How do you make an A frame tunnel? I don't see how it stays standing?

my service dog recently retired. i shopped alot for him through catalogues. there was never any single one that carried everything i needed and some of them don't have much for small animals, but you could check. they have web sites as well: KV pets and PETEDGE are the 2 main ones. kudos for being a smart consumer! ;)

@madelineelaine Take off the top and bottom of the box, then cut the box down the middle of one of the narrow sides. It should stand up good enough for piggies to crawl through I would imagine. :)

@jacqueline Cool you had a service dog! Do you still have him as a pet?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.