Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Where To Put Hiding Huts

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I recently had my Grandpa build me 3 hiding huts for my soon-to-be 2 Guinea Pigs. (Yes, 3 houses for 2 pets)

I was just wondering if there is any specific place I should think about putting them in my 2 grid x 4 grid C&C cage. I haven't ever really heard if Guinea Pigs like their hiding hut to be away from where people can see them or what.

For instance, should I but the huts in the corners of the cage, the front of the cage where I cannot see them, or in different spots?

It's better to put them towards middle of the cage and away from the walls becasue many pigs love to do zoomies around the walls of the cage. Also, if your pigs decide that they are climbers and climb on top of the hidey they can't get over the walls.
I have an old pig who doesn't climb and isn't very active, so I put hideys next to the walls. I also rearrange everything each time I clean the cage and rotate hideys to make him think about things and make it a bit more interesting for him.

It's better to put them towards middle of the cage and away from the walls becasue many pigs love to do zoomies around the walls of the cage. Also, if your pigs decide that they are climbers and climb on top of the hidey they can't get over the walls.
I have an old pig who doesn't climb and isn't very active, so I put hideys next to the walls. I also rearrange everything each time I clean the cage and rotate hideys to make him think about things and make it a bit more interesting for him.

Good thoughts! Never thought about it that way...... are Guineas really jumpers?

Sometimes. Every pig is different. I think it's usually boars that do it if they smell sows around, but really any pig has the potential to be a jumper and decide they want to let themselves out. You could always make a lid for your cage if you're worried.

Sometimes. Every pig is different. I think it's usually boars that do it if they smell sows around, but really any pig has the potential to be a jumper and decide they want to let themselves out. You could always make a lid for your cage if you're worried.

Nah, I am not worried. My cage walls are fairly high. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.