Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Where to leave GP while traveling?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't leave them alone while on vacation. There is always the possibility of the water bottle emptying or some sort of emergency in the house that could be dangerous to them. I think you're better off having someone come in to check on them and feed them, take them to a friend's or contact the vet you use to see if they board them.

Molly75

Cavy Slave
Years ago...we had 1 pig in a pet store cage (this was 13 years ago, we didn't have the internet to learn back them) and we took our pig on vacation with us. It was a 3 1/2 hour drive. He did great, didn't seem to bother him at all.

Now we will just leave our piggies home. We've always had a responsible teenage neighbor take care of our pets (cats and fish), the piggies are new this year. We pay her $5 a day. We always have a very busy summer. We're gone for 3 separate full weeks, plus maybe a weekend thrown in there. She brings in our mail/newspapers, cleans the cat litter every other day, feeds all the animals, and waters my flowers outside. I figure if she's here for an hour, then she's making $5 an hour. I'll probably up that price since I'm adding the pigs this year. We did just get rid of our fish, but it's not an equal swap ;) I also have an adult friend/neighbor who has a dog and rats and loves animals and she has done it before as well.

I have a neighbor who is most comfortable using a Pet Sitting Service (there are TONS around here). However, I'm not willing to pay the price and my husband is not willing to have a stranger in our home or have our house key.

potter

Cavy Slave
I can help you with it. I live in Burlington, Ontario. I am looking for someone to do the same for me when I go for vacation as I have a hard time looking for someone as well.

potter

Cavy Slave
I can help you with it. I live in Burlington. All I ask for is if we could help each other out as I have the same problem when I go away once in a while. I PM'd you.

DressCode

Cavy Slave
When I travel to my parents house to help them get their house ready to move, we just pack the whole piggie, cage and toys up into my car! It's easier then asking anyone to look after him. It's a 3-4 hour drive depending on traffic, and while in the car he sits in the pet store cage :p. He's always excited when we travel, and often sits on the shelf as if to try and see out the front windshield! All I do is take down the water bottle until we arrive at our destination, we had an accident our first time traveling with an empty bottle and a very wet piggie! If it were any farther to drive, I would stop every couple hours, like we do with the horses, and let him stretch and get out.

frillint

Cavy Slave
Actually, guinea pigs travel quite well. As long as the temperature is comfortable, and they get plenty of vegetables/greens, they should be fine.

We've taken guinea pigs to destinations a few hours away with no problems. We also took one with us on our motorhome trip to Yellowstone, several hours away.

I do pet sitting for my adopters (Tessa Bea!). When I leave on vacation I have a reliable pet sitter come in twice a day, but even just once a day for guinea pigs is fine in a pinch. Like Voodoo, I pre-package veggies, and even put the hay in lunch sized paper bags.

Do you mean during the car ride you give them veggies and such?

potter

Cavy Slave
Well I don't really have that choice as I have to fly out of the country at times so I have to get help from someone to take care of them while I am gone.