Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Where should i buy?

Mom_of 3

Cavy Slave
I need to find 2 same sex guinea pigs preferably babies but i dont know where to look! Craigslist & the pet store are my thoughts...however if anyone has any better ideas id greatly appricate it! Im near mount vernon sunbury ohio area, ive searched google hoobly and such just having no luck!!

Craiglist is good to find guinea pigs that need rehoming. "Buying" a guinea pig sounds a little bad and this site is [very] pro-adoption. Adopting/ Rescuing a guinea pig is something more that you'd be after.
Unfortunately there aren't a lot of guinea pigs local to you on Petfinder.com, or else I'd say try there.
I grew up in Mount Vernon and a little in Columbus. I would try waiting until something came up or, if you're really willing to make a trip, contact ashelter or rescue from Petfinder. There may even be people here willing to hop aboard the "guinea pig train" and help bring a pig much closer to you.
Good luck!

Is Columbus too far for you to go? There are lots of pigs on the Columbus Craigslist.

Go to a rescue! It's the best way to go! I bought my first two guinea pigs from pet stores but I adopted my third from a shelter and was so very happy with the experience and the gratification of saving a life. I'm a volunteer and a foster home for a guinea pig rescue and we have so, so many homeless guinea pigs and we are constantly full. I would say 95% are perfectly normal, healthy, sweet piggies. We do have some geriatric/special needs, but we never adopt them out unless someone asks for a special needs guinea pig. You get such a better experience with a rescue because you can discuss your wants and needs and they match the perfect pet to you -- they are there just to help find loving forever homes for the guinea pigs, not for money whatsoever.

Check out this page for a bunch of information! https://www.guinealynx.info/rescues.html.

There is This Little Piggy and Me Adoption & Rescue in Cincinnati: (broken link removed).

Here's a Petfinder search for guinea pigs in your area, not sure if any of these are close to you? Pet Search Results: Adoptable Guinea Pig Small Pets in Parma, OH: Petfinder.

Hope this helps! :)

Please don't buy a guinea pig from a pet store, I could list you off all the reasons, but I don't know all of them. Have you checked pet finder? Are there any guinea pig rescues or shelters near you? Did you check the guinea pig finder at the top of this page?

Thanks everyone, i was a lil hesitant to go through craigslist just because breeders and all, and i need to find a couple (same sex) because my hubby wants to just go to a petstore, i just wasnt sure if there was a better place i wasn't looking! iv looked on petfinder as well not anything close columbus is about an hr away not a horrible distance to go, and my dad is familar with the area as well!

Definitely don't buy from a pet store. I got Mufasa from one before I knew better. He came with a URI and died 15 days later as I didn't notice the symptoms until it was too late. Pet store piggies are notorious for being sick or mis-sexed and pregnant.

After I learned my lesson with Mufasa, I adopted one piggie from a humane society via Petfinder and got another via Craigslist. They're both happy and healthy and have been with me over a month now. You'll be able to get a sense of whether a Craigstlist person is a breeder or not by their ad and what they say. It was very apparent that my piggy, Amy, was a pet; they got rid of her because of a move and even gave me a ton of supplies. I traveled an hour for each of my babies and it was well worth the trip!

Please don't buy, other then just the facts that if you buy a pet store guinea pigs, you are promoting breeding which kills 20% of guinea pigs, and there will be more guinea pigs left in a rescue that could have been adopted by you, but also guinea pigs bought from pets stores are also generally less healthy, miss sexed, and less social. I had bought a rat from pet smart once, and two days later it died of something it got while it was at the pet store. There are countless stories of things happening like that to guinea pigs bought at pet stores, pigs being pregnant, pigs being miss sexed, and ect. There are many places you can find guinea pigs to about. PetFinder is a very good site, also Craigslist can have guinea pigs for adoption, but watch out for breeders.

Anytime you go on Craigslist and see a breeder advertising FLAG IT! It is not allowed per the website rules. The harder it is for these people to sell thier "product" the less likely they are to continue breeding. FLAG, FLAG, FLAG!!

Unfortunately, rescues in Ohio are almost entirely dog or cat, with a handful of rabbits. The nearest one I could find with guineas was in another state. If it comes down to Craigslist vs. a store, definitely adopt from Craigslist. The pigs may have originally come from a store, but look at it this way - when you adopt a former store pig from CL, the store (and thus the breeders further down that food chain) doesn't make any money or gain an opening for a new breeder mill pig.

I ended up getting Kwee from a Petsmart, obviously before I knew any better. Thankfully, I lucked out and she's turned out quite healthy and happy, but there are so many stories about pet store piggies that die within days of being taken home, or require hundreds of dollars of vet treatment if they do survive, or arrive already pregnant, etc. It's just not worth risking. Sure, there's not really much regulation of Craigslist, but at the very least, given that these pigs have lived with another owner for some time, they're much less likely to die or have significant health issues.

Everyone is going to tell you to adopt from a rescue shelter. Some will tell you to either adopt from a shelter or don't get a guinea pig at all. I'll give you my story.

I adopted two guinea pigs from Petsmart. One of them got a URI the first week. We let it go a couple days and it became a little more serious. Petsmart covered all vet bills. Now, on one hand, we did get a sick guinea pig. But on the other hand Petsmart did the right thing and made sure she got better, instead of just taking her back and euthanizing her.

However, I will say that if you DO go to a petstore, check it out thoroughly. There are a few petstores in my area that are fish-focused but will carry a few small animals and they put them in horrid conditions. The people who work at my Petsmart, especially the Pet Wellness manager, were all very nice and very knowledgeable. Our exotic pet veterinarian knows the wellness manager and had good things to say about them. That very well may NOT be the case at your local petsmart, or feeder's supply, or PetCo.

Personally, the Craig's List thing weirds me out. Maybe because the ones listed in my area are from people who obviously didn't know what they were getting into and just want a money grab. For instant, trying to sell a guinea pig with a cheap petstore cage for $70.

If there is rescue in your area that can provide two same sex guinea pigs, then that's how you should go.

Everyone is going to tell you to adopt from a rescue shelter. Some will tell you to either adopt from a shelter or don't get a guinea pig at all. I'll give you my story.

I adopted two guinea pigs from Petsmart. One of them got a URI the first week. We let it go a couple days and it became a little more serious. Petsmart covered all vet bills. Now, on one hand, we did get a sick guinea pig. But on the other hand Petsmart did the right thing and made sure she got better, instead of just taking her back and euthanizing her.

However, I will say that if you DO go to a petstore, check it out thoroughly. There are a few petstores in my area that are fish-focused but will carry a few small animals and they put them in horrid conditions. The people who work at my Petsmart, especially the Pet Wellness manager, were all very nice and very knowledgeable. Our exotic pet veterinarian knows the wellness manager and had good things to say about them. That very well may NOT be the case at your local petsmart, or feeder's supply, or PetCo.

Personally, the Craig's List thing weirds me out. Maybe because the ones listed in my area are from people who obviously didn't know what they were getting into and just want a money grab. For instant, trying to sell a guinea pig with a cheap petstore cage for $70.

If there is rescue in your area that can provide two same sex guinea pigs, then that's how you should go.

There is no such thing as "Adopting" a pig from a pet store you are basically just shopping for animals like you do at a market for food. By getting a pig from anyone who breeds them, you are only promoting the act of breeding which kills a lot of guinea pigs, and depriving a guinea pig in a shelter of a home. Even if the pet store was the best in the world at taking care of the animals, that doesn't change the fact that they are breeding guinea pigs. I stand by the fact that people should either rescue a pig, or not get one. Though that is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

There is no such thing as "Adopting" a pig from a pet store you are basically just shopping for animals like you do at a market for food. By getting a pig from anyone who breeds them, you are only promoting the act of breeding which kills a lot of guinea pigs, and depriving a guinea pig in a shelter of a home. Even if the pet store was the best in the world at taking care of the animals, that doesn't change the fact that they are breeding guinea pigs. I stand by the fact that people should either rescue a pig, or not get one. Though that is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.
I completely understand where you are comming from with getting a piggie from a shelter and that would most likely be what i would do if there where any shelters avalible here or close to here, we basically have cat and dog shelters and thats pretty much it. Im trying to find someplace anyplace other than a petstore, and about all ive come up with is craigslist, petfinder has a very few more than an hr or 2 away. I thought maybe someone from 4-h? Or craigslist ive seen a few people trying to get rid of their males or females to avoid unwanted breeding. Im trying to do my research and be responsible we got a bunny once and she ended up in a little cage and wasn't right for our family what ive researched guinea pigs seem like a good match for us now its just getting a big enough cage ive found a few places that make C&C cages just a cheap as it would be for the supplies to just make it myself Ive found a high traffic spot without much of a draft for such a large cage i plan on 2 males or 2 females with a cage big enough for several, my children will love floor time and holding them theyll get a lot of attention ive also reasearched bedding and food sexing piggies and anything else i can think of weve been discussing the idea of piggies for over A year now a snap decision of hubby while getting a harness for our dog he saw them in a pet store and wanted to get them right then and there. We have 3 indoor outdoor cats that were my grandmothers (she passed away in December of this yr and i told her id care for them) A large husky dalmation mix (from a shelter) he by the way has no interest in any of the other animals except to play with him in fact we had a siamese cat (shelter) that used to sleep with him we have 3 kids the oldest 2 are wonderful with animals even small ones as long as there is supervision. I truely am trying to be as responsible about this as i can! I appricate all the comments and help from everyone here!

I completely understand where you are comming from with getting a piggie from a shelter and that would most likely be what i would do if there where any shelters avalible here or close to here, we basically have cat and dog shelters and thats pretty much it. Im trying to find someplace anyplace other than a petstore, and about all ive come up with is craigslist, petfinder has a very few more than an hr or 2 away. I thought maybe someone from 4-h? Or craigslist ive seen a few people trying to get rid of their males or females to avoid unwanted breeding. Im trying to do my research and be responsible we got a bunny once and she ended up in a little cage and wasn't right for our family what ive researched guinea pigs seem like a good match for us now its just getting a big enough cage ive found a few places that make C&C cages just a cheap as it would be for the supplies to just make it myself Ive found a high traffic spot without much of a draft for such a large cage i plan on 2 males or 2 females with a cage big enough for several, my children will love floor time and holding them theyll get a lot of attention ive also reasearched bedding and food sexing piggies and anything else i can think of weve been discussing the idea of piggies for over A year now a snap decision of hubby while getting a harness for our dog he saw them in a pet store and wanted to get them right then and there. We have 3 indoor outdoor cats that were my grandmothers (she passed away in December of this yr and i told her id care for them) A large husky dalmation mix (from a shelter) he by the way has no interest in any of the other animals except to play with him in fact we had a siamese cat (shelter) that used to sleep with him we have 3 kids the oldest 2 are wonderful with animals even small ones as long as there is supervision. I truely am trying to be as responsible about this as i can! I appricate all the comments and help from everyone here!

That's great that you are trying so hard to find a good place to get a guinea pig from, and that you have done so much research! I don't really know anything about 4-H, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if getting one from there is a good idea, but someone should come along soon and be able to tell you! If you can't find any pigs near you, I would say craigslist is the way to go. I have no rescues around my area either, but I still wanted to foster pigs for one, so now I am having to prepare to make a 4 hour trip just to go get some pigs to foster.

That is so cool your going to foster piggies! We only have the dog and cat shelter here and surrounding areas have the same,I agree craigslist seems to be the best option i have. I went searching for guinea pig supplies today and out of curiousity checked out the animals in our local we luv pets shop the animals seemed to be in clean cages and seemed healthy or looked it the staff about guinea pigs and ferrets they seemed fairly knowlagable they only keep 2 guinea pigs at a time same with ferrets but they dont always keep the same sex in one cage they let me hold the guinea pigs and i got to see what a juvenille male pig looks like "down there" seems to be fairly simple to sex them compared to what i thought itd be. They charge $35.00 a peice and the employee i spoke to didn;t know where they get their pigs from but they do keep a couple of store cats they adopted from our local shelter as well as 2 cats from the shelter to be adopted out. its a small store and in better conditions than what ive seen in larger chains or like the pets smart we had for a little while where they sold "pure bred" puppies in tiny cages and had 6 or more pigs in a single cage same goes for ferrets and other small critters and all the cages were open where as u have to ask an employee to unlock a cage to get to the animals. Im still not consitering a petstore pig just curious as i don't go to the petstore often i get food from the vet for my dog and walmart for outdoor food for the kitties. Im almost glad the petstore charges so much for the pigs because itd actually be cheaper to drive a lil ways for a pig from someone needing to rehome them! No better argument for the old man LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.